Welcome to my thread. Pics/questions

Mycophiles

Registered
Ok, here's what happened. I have a DC converter in my car to allow to me use my computer in my car and one day I left it on overnight. It drained the battery so the car sat for a couple of days. When I finally did jump it the car wouldn't start back up once it stopped. The next weekand I decided i'd take it on a 50mile jaunt. I did and just miles from home all types of messages popped up... check engine.. abs brakes... check charging system. Then it died. I got it in a parking lot before it completely died so I left it there overnight. The next morning I went up and disconnected the battery and clearned the codes. Then with another battery I jumped the car and drove it home. I'm pretty sure it was the alt. so I've taken that out, but in the process I have broken something and I have no idea what it is.

... by the way here's my neg wire off my battery. Is it a problem?

RE: Welcome to my thread. Pics/questions

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
... but in the process I have broken something and I have no idea what it is.
[/div]

I believe that would be the ECT(Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor. You should replace that for proper operation.

... by the way here's my neg wire off my battery. Is it a problem?
[/div]

Yes, that can be a problem. Replace the terminal with one with a more secure wire termination cleaning the wire of any corrosion. Or you can replace the wire with a premade unit but the opposite end grounding to the engine block is a PITA to get at. BTW there should be another ground wire going to the car body as well.

OK, wierd stuff is going on. I replaced the alt. and started the car up. The rattling that I thought was the ball bearings in the alt was still there even after the replacement of the alt! The only think that I can think that it could be would be the power steering pump. Awile ago I started leaking power stearing fluid so I've just been replacing it on a regular basis. Tonight after hearing the noise coming from the engine again I decided to put in more power stearing fluid and that made the sound louder. Then the car started roumpoing like it was going to die. I then decided to check the codes on the car and once I did that the car started to rev. which scared me so I pulled it out and stoppped the car.

I have no idea what's going on here so I hope someone here could help me.

If you have access to another battery I would try that, many times a bad battery will cause all sorts of weird problems in these cars.

If you have access to another battery I would try that, many times a bad battery will cause all sorts of weird problems in these cars.
[/div]

I would agree on the battery.

When you install a new alternator you also need to make sure the battery is good and fully charged, or it will take out your new alternator.

Ok, what is the thing called and how do I get it to stick in place?
[/div]

ECT sensor.

Partially drain the coolant, remove the broken fitting from the coolant crossover tube, remove the harness connector from the broken sensor, install new sensor into crossover tube with thread sealant, re-connect 2 pin harness connector, properly refill coolant system according to instruction sticker under hood.

You NEED to replace your ground wire ASAP, or you'll be buying another alternator soon enough. Bad ground = good bye alternator.

Another real good source of that rattling sound is the bearing inside the serpintine belt tensioner. I had one go on my '94 and it sounds just like you say. Plus, it is real hard to check without removing the belt and giving the pulley a spin. It should be reltively tight with absolutely no wobbling whatsoever. The pulley should not spin for a very long tim at all and should be almost completely silent. Mine was so bad, the balls were coming out of the races. So, before that happens to you, check that source out as well, unless the noise goes away when you add power steering fluid.

Never trust those type of battery connections for your main ride. They'll leave you stranded at the worst or best possible time. Get the molded on type with the black ground wire that crimps on. Remember that the two (red and black) are not interchangable. The black connection is a little smaller in diameter.

Back