What do these button do?

D Day

Registered
My 98 has the ASC sunroof with four buttons, open, vent, close and "asc." I cannot figure out what the "asc" button does. I press it and it turns red, press it once more to turn green. What does this button do?

Also, my rear view mirror has a dot located top center of the mirror and a button on the bottom of the plastic frame. The rear view mirrior is hooked up to some wires that come from the roof. There is also a little black case located behind the rear mirror with wires going into the same location. Is this some type of garage door opener. If so I have been trying to program my door but no luck. What is it and how do you work it?

Thanks
[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________
94 Mark VIII Opal White
98 Mark VIII LSC Black
David J

RE: What do these button do?

As for the "asc" button, when it's red, it disables the auto shut feature when you turn off the car. Use it if you want the sunroff open with the car turn off.
I don't have the other feature, but sounds like a auto-dimming mirror and/or a universal Homelink garage remote. Don't know how to program it, don't have it. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Jeff

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
...Also, my rear view mirror has a dot located top center of the mirror and a button on the bottom of the plastic frame. The rear view mirrior is hooked up to some wires that come from the roof. There is also a little black case located behind the rear mirror with wires going into the same location. Is this some type of garage door opener. If so I have been trying to program my door but no luck. What is it and how do you work it?[/div]

The "dot" in the mirror is the sensor for the auto dim feature of your rear view mirrors. The button on the bottom is the on/off switch for that feature.

The black case is your compass sensor.

Because you're asking these questions I assume you're missing an owners manual? If so you can get one in PDF form online at the Lincoln company site. You'll need this as it shows you many of the programmable features of the car.

I cannot tell you what the asc button is. My books only show 3 switches on the moonroof's control panel - 2 switches for turning on each of the 2 map lights on either side of the switches and 1 for moving the moon roof. It must be an aftermarket unit. There is nothing in the EVTM that has a set of letters like that. Perhaps you can download a small picture of this and someone can help. My '98 is completely stock right now, so there is nothing there except as stated.

As far as the rear view mirror goes, you may have an automatic dimming rear view mirror set. If you look at the bottom of the mirror in the center, you'll see a switch that will turn it on and off by pushing up on the switch. It should either stay up or down. I don't remember how to set it (whether it should be up or down) and the manual has no instructions, either. Just push it up - it should lower. And then try it at night. Then push it up again - it should stay back up. Try it at night again. There seems to be different settings for the mirror. So, keep experimenting.
The upper center spot in the mirror's glass is a light sensitive photocell that is used along with a rear mounted photocell (facing foreward) to tell if the amount of light is the same or different between the back and front of the mirror. So, say it is daylight. The 2 photocells would get about the same amount of light. But, at night, the back side (or front looking) photocell shows it is dark out and the car behind you has it's headlights shining brightly on the rear facing photocell in the mirror. In that case, the mirror will darken by itself instead of you - having to move a tab below the mirror to put it in a darkened position. It will also darken the left driver's side door mounted rear view mirror. They are interconnected. The mirrors will also lighten back up if you place the gear shift in reverse as a safety precaution.

The module attached to the center rear view mirror's bracket is actually the vehicle's electronic compass. That is set according to your location (in your case, California, or zone 4). The operation and setting proceedure is in your owner's manual page 24, 25, and 26, which should be in the glove box. It is not the garage door opener.

The garage door opener (if equipped) will be on the opposite side of the driver's side sun visor. You can see it (if you have it) by looking up at the visor when it is in the up position. On the rearward right side (front side when down), there should be 3 buttons and a small triangled LED light in it. You either have it or you don't. The only way to get it is to replace the complete visor with a visor that is equipped with one. You cannot install one in your car's visor yourself (according to Ford). Their response is - if it does not work, "replace the visor." You can use an equipped visor to replace a non equipped visor. The wiring and mounting is the same. Just locate the same color visor.
The instructions for setting and operating it are on page 57 of the owner's manual.
If you need more help, ask. But, get a picture of the asc switch. You have peaked my interest.
It seems that the asc switch is already answered. My '98 was one of the 1st off the line in '97, so it does not show the option or the asc standard switch.

After doing some research, I found that the ASC switches are for the manual or automatic operation of an aftermarket sunroof or moonroof made by ASC. It is not factory which means it is either better or worse than the factory unit. It certainly has more features - like an automatic close feature when you tyrn off the ignition. I may try to design an aftermarket box that closes the moon roof on factory units when the key is turned off, since I have power in the moonroof for about 10 minutes after the key is off anyway. There have been many nights I have been lucky enough to either dry the interior after a very short rain or wipe the dew off the seats in the morning from the previous night. There have been countless times I have left the roof open, but caught it later in the day, so I don't leave it open all night. This could definately help.

I know I will leave the sun roof open, I did it today! Now that you mention the potential problem it will be set to auto close. I didn't notice any difference in the dimming of the mirror but know that i know its purpose I will check it out tomorrow.

I have an owners manual but the asc and the dimming lights were not in it. I will check out that pdf file though.

Thanks for your help guys.
[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________
94 Mark VIII Opal White
98 Mark VIII LSC Black
David J

The ASC button is not a Lincoln factory option. The sunroof is an aftermarket unit, built by ASC that was installed after the vehicle was assembled, either by the dealer in CA or by the first owner. You will not find the operating information in the Lincoln owner's manual. You may find it at:

http://home.primus.ca/~triton/asc/index.htm

That internet address is asc's home page.

The other options would be in the owner's manual in the car if you have one. If you don't, here is where you start to find the owner's manual for your car in .pdf format:

http://www.lincoln.com/

Use this site, click on "OWNERS" (no quotes) and it will take you to a registering screen. Give them your information (name, address, etc.) including the VIN of your car and make up a password. After you do all the stuff, you can download anything they have there pertaining to your car. There is no servicing information except what is in the owner's manual set. So, don't expect wiring diagrams or anything like that.
You can also buy a new Lincoln there.
Enjoy!

I don't believe that any of the sunroofs were put in at the factory, all were sent to ASC.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I don't believe that any of the sunroofs were put in at the factory, all were sent to ASC.
[/div]

My '95 has a factory moonroof. My '93 had an ASC. I liked how the ASC had automatic open/close, but I don't like the aftermarket look. They could have at least called that button "auto" rather than putting a stupid logo on it.

I think the ASC was the officially-sanctioned aftermarket moonroof. There's no noticeable difference in quality, wind noise, etc. between the two.

Back