Cooling fan shot?

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
Coming home from work today on the highway my AC started blowing progressively warmer. I checked the temp gage and it was holding steady. I got off on my local roads and did not hear the compressor kick in, so I am thinking it could be low Freon, and then I went to fill up on gas($52.50, bla). So after I stared it back up and drove for a min the temp shot up and i got a warning, I went home (only a min away) and noticed that the cooling fan was not kicking on.

So is it safe to say that I should replace it, or is there something I should check first? Also, is 5 star ford a good place to get a new one at?

RE: Cooling fan shot?

Do a wiggle test on the fan and ac clutch and pressure switch connections first.

Turn the AC on max and see if the fan comes on full speed. Normal operations run the fan at variable speed. It could be a issue with the VCRM.

You can disconnect the fan and rig battery power direct to the cooling fan to test the fan motor. Likewise you can test for voltage being delivered to the fan motor.

Five Star Ford would be my first choice for a new cooling fan but I believe you can get just the motor from other sources such as RockAuto.

I will check it out, but just the way it failed it is probably the motor. After 9 years and 114k miles it gave out.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the fan and motor.

EDIT, quick look up on fast parts network it looks like the motor is separate and will be $300 :eek:

Ordered the cooling fan assembly from Max today, got very good club discount.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Did you do any troubleshooting on the oem one?
[/div]

When I first checked it I checked the connection, and did the max AC thing, and I even tried pushing the blades with a screwdriver to get them going. Did not get a chance to check the power at the connection and I did not want to wait to long to get the part. So I took a chance and got a new one.

Let me know how it goes.

I think you jinxed me. It appears my fan is having issues. I'm going to try a new relay in my over-ride circuit. Apparently, there is no low speed, but high speed seems OK when the over-ride is engaged. High speed during max AC seems intermittent.

I have some more troubleshooting to do. At first I thought it was an air bubble in the cooling syatem or maybe even needing a new radiator. But I'm homing in on the cooling fan.

A relay problem with my over-ride circuit was my culprit. The fan now runs normally with the AC on.

Did you get yours fixed?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
A relay problem with my over-ride circuit was my culprit. The fan now runs normally with the AC on.Did you get yours fixed?
[/div]

Nope, i just replaced the fan, no go, it is not turing on, max AC on, ac on, so what do i do next?

From the '96 manual(OBD-II, should be same as '97)...

Cooling Fan Inoperative

Possible Source(s):

§ Circuit.
§ Variable load control module (VLCM).
§ Powertrain control module.
§ Cooling fan motor.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1682.jpg

Check for power at 40A maxi-fuse(hot at all times) for cooling fan in engine compartment fuse box. Replace 40A maxi-fuse if necessary. For giggles, I would replace the 40A maxi-fuse for cooling fan in engine compartment fuse box. I have seen maxi-fuses check good but not carry high current.

Check for 12VDC at VLCM(Variable Load Control Module) circuit 37, pins 4 & 5(hot at all times).

With AC on, check for power at VLCM(Variable Load Control Module) circuit 386, pins 2 & 3.

With AC on, check for power at cooling fan connector C102, circuit 386, Light Blue wire.

Check for continuity in ground circuit 57, Black wire, at cooling fan connector C102. Check ground connector C103 at LH front corner of engine compartment.

Whoo hoo, thanks JP. I checked all the fuses with my meter for continuity and got tone on all of them. Then I check for voltage at the connector, none. So for "giggles" before I got into the other stuff I pulled the fuse, there was just enough connection to give continuity, but not enough to carry any load (see pic). I ran down to the super Wal-Mart, only place open late Sunday, and got a fuse kit. And bada-bing bada-boom it worked.

I have a 12v transformer, I will check out the old fan when I get time. The fuse could have blown due to old age, or maybe the fan motor was on its way out.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1683.jpg

Glad you got ot figured out. :)

It's possible the old cooling fan motor was on its way out drawing too much load and had one startup too many for the inrush of current through the fuse.

Back