Headliner =crap

KyleH

Registered
Never understood how a lowmilage mostly garaged car gets a rotted out headliner like mine. Regaudless it has to go, I am restomodding the car and after the blower gets done (sigh, sometime this year hopefully lol) this is next on my list.

How do I order the right color to have it reupholstered? Any good questions to ask when going to different shops?

My cousin owns a large Jag dealership here locally so I am sure he knows someone good.

Any tips for doing this? Anyone else have a problem with tears/drying out in ther headlines. This is an FL car with 37K on the clock.

RE: Headliner =crap

Wow, at only 37,000? Mine was still nice shape at 89,000 something miles and also in Florida heat. I just had water stain damage on mine, so it had to be replaced. When you get the headliner out in one piece very carefully without it cracking, take it to a reulphostery shop for new covering. Go though thier swatches on a chain, and take them out to your car and get an exact color match and order that number color. They scrape it and install new foam and new fabric with spray adhesive. When you do it make sure front seats, rear, and center console are removed so you can get the angle needed to get it diagnally out of door. It will come out one piece, but its just at a very wierd angle.
When i did mine, i found that it would of been alot easier if i had the front tires up on ramps to get that extra foot of clearance at the bottom of door. I ran out of room and the headliner will touch the ground just before it actually comes out.

I would guess the environment has something to do with headliner decay...humidity, vapors, etc.

IDk cause this was in West Palm Beach. Mmy mom's 1997 mercury tracers sun visor is dried out (103K and she sue to leave it flipped down 24/7.) but the headliner is perfect. Similar interior colors as well.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I could just do it myself any reason to go with a pro? I mean if I mees it up I'm only out the cost of the fabric.

Gen2 headliner is definitely removable. I had a bit of experience with mine a couple years ago. You have to pull the trim panels around the edges, the rubber gasket around the sunroof (pull gently.. it's just held in pace with sticky stuff) and a couple anchors in the back above the window. (they should be visible) I actually removed the passenger seat when I removed the headliner, but I was able to reinstall it with the seat installed, but reclined. Do avoid flexing it too much, I hear they're easy to break.

here's the original thread, for more detailed information: http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/d...opic_id=2849&mesg_id=2849&listing_type=search

Back