No More HIDs???

RE: No More HIDs???

Apparently all true.

The HID bulb fiasco is disconcerting to many Mark VIII owners. Almost impossible to find and top dollar pricing for any remaining inventory.

I snatched a complete driver's side Gen1 HID set(lens, ballast and bulb) from mad1stgen at the Michigan meet.

Supposedly, a 'batch' of new bulbs is expected to hit the market sometime in August accordingly to the last report I heard.

Yes, talk to Jeremi, Joe.

He might be able to help.

Isn't there a law that says headlight bulbs must be available?

DOT or something?

I hope they work this out somehow.

Im glad the LS uses D2R bulbs. Paid $60 bucs shipped for two brand new OEM philip bulbs.

This might be causing lots of problems in the near future.

I just ran into this problem myself. A year ago I bought a housing with bulb and no problem was encountered.

Five or six weeks ago, I was only able to buy the housing, sans bulb. I ordered the bulb and the Ford ordering system had a note saying that the supplier was going to provide 147 (or some number like that) bulbs the week of July 31. As of today, my local dealer has not received the back-ordered bulbs.

I used to work at this particular dealer and this kind of "when the part will be off backorder" information is often provided. My experience was that the dates provided for filling backorders was pretty reliable. I believe that the message about the orders being filled and the date provided is a strong indication that our friends at Sylvania are going to provide the bulbs.

But what if the bulbs were discontinued? We innovative Mark owners would have to devise a way to modify our lights to accept bulbs from some other car; maybe an LS, maybe some BMW or other luxury car.
So, while the possible discontinuation of this vital part may be a challenge (cue patriotic music here), think of it not as a challenge to enjoying our cars, but as a challenge to innovate, modify, and create! To go where no car owner has gone before.
That is our challenge. (wipe tear from corner of eye now).

There isnt much out the market.

Here are your flavors:

D2R - used for reflective type HID's (you best bet.)
D2S - used for projector type HID's.
D4S - new projector type HID's.

The real difference between the D2R, and D2S is the glare sheild on the bulb.

This does't make sense to me I must be misunderstanding something in this thread because If we use the D2R bulb then a Google search yields tons of suppliers, here's just one http://plasmagarage.com/XENON-bulbs.html

If our bulbs are a standard D2R then what's the problem? If all these sites are out of inventory then surely it will be temporary since it is a standard bulb used in thousands of cars and conversion kits.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
This does't make sense to me I must be misunderstanding something in this thread because If we use the D2R bulb then a Google search yields tons of suppliers, here's just one http://plasmagarage.com/XENON-bulbs.htmlIf our bulbs are a standard D2R then what's the problem? If all these sites are out of inventory then surely it will be temporary since it is a standard bulb used in thousands of cars and conversion kits.
[/div]

D2R is what everyone else is using with a reflector type HID setup. Everyone else, except the Mark.

Friends,

My local dealer called me yesterday; the bulb I ordered has arrived. It still has that ridiculously high list price, but at least it is available.

Back