Overheating in the Drive-thru

Trixie

Staff member
My car has overheated once, and almost overheated again today, while sitting in line at the drive through.

Except for the idea that perhaps my car is annoyed at my fondness for fast-food, any other ideas on why she'd be running fine until suck idling in line at the drive-thru?

I did have the air on, and so did the kid (it happened once to each of us), and then when we drove off, the temp started going back down. I did notice that the compressor or whatever for the AC seemed to be cycling or something a lot. I'm not knowledgeable at all about this stuff.

RE: Overheating in the Drive-thru

Must be something going 'round. :(

Did the AC ever start to not be so cold when this was happening?

I would check that the fan is running when the AC is on. It should be on anytime the AC is on and it should be on high speed anytime the AC is on "Max".

Mine isn't, but I have a hunch it's a relay issue tied to my over-ride circuit.

Hmmm, yeah, the AC was a little bit warm every once in a while, I thought it was just me. :eek:

Hubby's gonna go check the fan.

OK, the fan's not turning on. How do we fix that.

First, I'd check the wire connections for corrosion. Then with the wires disconnected I'd try spinning the fan by hand to see if it spins freely. Then I'd connect 12 volts to the unplugged fan to see if it works.

If it doesn't work with 12 volts applied, it's probably the fan motor.

My hunch was right. The relay in my over-ride circuit was faulty. My fan now turns on with the AC. Low speed at normal settings(with cool engine) and high speed with Max AC.

Like Bill says, check the fan connector and see if the fan runs with 12VDC applied.

It appears it was the connections. I guess it helps that we have two Marks as they were able to make comparisons, and something about 1/2 amps for his car and 3/4 amps for my car or something. Anyway, they cleaned up the connections and stuff and she's doing great.

Thanks for the help!

While you're at it flush out the radiator and the condensor with water. Not the inside, the outside. Get all the little bugs and fuzzy things out of the fins and it'll work a little better.

Glad it was a cheap and easy fix.

Yes, it is very handy to have two Marks to compare..:)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Yes, it is very handy to have two Marks to compare..:)
[/div]

One of the benefits of Club 16! :)

Back