Antenna mast replacement

DixieRambler

Registered
Can the antenna mast be replaced if broken, or do I have to buy the whole setup i.e., mast and motor? (1994 MK VIII)

Thanks,

Jim

RE: Antenna mast replacement

Welcome!

The mast can be replaced without replacing the motor.

Check the online sources or the dealer for the original mast.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Welcome!The mast can be replaced without replacing the motor.Check the online sources or the dealer for the original mast.
[/div]

Thanks for your help. I had posted this on another forum a cuople of weeks ago and got no response. I thought it could be replaced but wanted to make sure before I started cranking on it! Thanks again for your time & help.

Jim

I have a friend who's a Ford tech, he replaces these masts practically every day. The other day he showed me how it's done:

-Unscrew the trim ring and remove the plastic spacer.

-If you look at the threaded thing that the ring screws onto, you should see two flat spots near the top. Grab this spot with a pair of pliers and loosen it, being very careful not to scratch the fender. Remove this piece.

-Now get a helper to turn on the radio. As the antenna motor is raising whatever is left of the mast, pull upward firmly at the same time to remove it along with the additional foot or two of plastic cord. The motor only runs for a certain amount of time, so pulling helps speed it up and fully eject the mast before timing out.

-There is a metal sleeve that slips around the mast to provide a secure electrical connection. Make sure you move this over to the new one.

-Now stick the new mast's plastic cord down into the antenna body and have your helper turn the stereo off. Move and twist it around until the gears grab it. This might take a few on/off cycles, it's kinda tricky. When it catches, be sure to carefully line the mast up so it goes into the car without snagging on anything.

-It might not go down all the way at first. That's normal. Reinstall the bottom ring, then turn the stereo on to make sure it goes up and you still get reception. Turn it off again, and the antenna should fully retract. If that's all good, reinstall the trim rings, and you're done!

FWIW I got my replacement out of a junkyard '92 Continental. The antennas are somewhat different across various Fords, but the masts should be pretty much universal.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I have a friend who's a Ford tech, he replaces these masts practically every day. The other day he showed me how it's done:-Unscrew the trim ring and remove the plastic spacer.-If you look at the threaded thing that the ring screws onto, you should see two flat spots near the top. Grab this spot with a pair of pliers and loosen it, being very careful not to scratch the fender. Remove this piece. -Now get a helper to turn on the radio. As the antenna motor is raising whatever is left of the mast, pull upward firmly at the same time to remove it along with the additional foot or two of plastic cord. The motor only runs for a certain amount of time, so pulling helps speed it up and fully eject the mast before timing out. -There is a metal sleeve that slips around the mast to provide a secure electrical connection. Make sure you move this over to the new one. -Now stick the new mast's plastic cord down into the antenna body and have your helper turn the stereo off. Move and twist it around until the gears grab it. This might take a few on/off cycles, it's kinda tricky. When it catches, be sure to carefully line the mast up so it goes into the car without snagging on anything.-It might not go down all the way at first. That's normal. Reinstall the bottom ring, then turn the stereo on to make sure it goes up and you still get reception. Turn it off again, and the antenna should fully retract. If that's all good, reinstall the trim rings, and you're done!FWIW I got my replacement out of a junkyard '92 Continental. The antennas are somewhat different across various Fords, but the masts should be pretty much universal.
[/div]

Hey SegXR7,

Thanks for the response and great information! I picked up a mast the other day and with the great write up of yours, I don't anticipate any problems.

Thanks again,

Jim

Back