check engine codes - getting them read

jrm94mark8

Registered
I have 1994 Mark 8 and get the check engine light only on the highway. Usually happens when I get on the car. Sometimes the light stays for a few minutes and sometimes for a long time. I had it checked back in May and it threw 3 codes. I don't have them at the moment but the mechanic I had discovered an intake leak and thought it could be a culprit. Had that fixed but the engine light still comes on. I called Autozone cause I'd heard they read them for free but was told only on 1996 and later. Does that mean OBDII? Anyway, most other places I'll have to shell out $60-80 to have them read and thought I'd buy the code reader myself and watned to get some opinions. I've seen them on ebay and here's one I found online

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3758

Anyone have one of these or can they recommend one? After I get them read I'll probably be back for advice on the codes themselves.

Thanks for any input.

JRM

RE: check engine codes - getting them read

I don't know about code readers because I don't use them. That's an advantage of an OBD 1 system (my cars are both 94's). You can read the codes from the check engine light.

Just hold the OBD connector with the inputs facing you and the row of terminals arranged with the row of 2 above the row of 4. Like the x's and O below.

x O
x x x x

Connect the O terminal to the separate wire and terminal that is with the OBD wire harness, using a test light or peice of wire.

Then turn the key to the on position and count the flashes of the check engine light.

Write the numbers down and let us know what they are..:)

Edit: I'm guessing O2 sensors.

RE: check engine codes - getting them read

I have the code reader pictured got it for a similar price. If you don't want to need a helper for some of the tests get the extension cable too. I want one but am too cheap to spend $20 on a stupid cable...

If forty bucks is a big issue (financially or philosophically), do as the other guy recommended. On the opposite end, if you do your own repairs a lot and also have other, newer cars and the money is not a big prob get one of the OBDII ones that can read both OBDI and OBDII (they are like $100 to $250 ish I suspect). By the way OBD I and OBD II are standardized systems. OBD I ended in the mid-late nineties I think... From what I recall they are changing systems again in the next few years... Detailed info is floating somewhere in the ether we call the internet somewhere if you are curious.

I would have done the lightbulb test wire thingy but these cars are so complex and capable of doing so many self tests that I prefer to spend the $ and have the code reader. beside I used to get so bored waiting for an old 86 Dodge I once had to flash out the messages that I would lose track have to repeat it like five times to get it right.

The code reader comes with a massive instruction booklet and that is pretty thorough but you are still going to come here regarding what some of the codes mean since a few of the descriptions are less than helpful unless you already know, for example, what a manual lever position sensor is (it's a very fancy neutral safety switch on the tranny by the way).

It also gives step by step (complicated) instructions for doing a whole bunch of tests beyond the stored/recurrring error codes which is what you are after for this thing.

I like mine and think it is fairly easy to use but still Mark Viii's are complicated computerized machines and If I had the money to blow I'd make someone else do all of the "turn the key on but leave the car off, turn the car on and turn the AC off, let the car run for 7.2 minutes at 1700 rpms under a full moon on a wednesday, touch your nose with your left hand then shut off car, then restart it and put it in reverse and turn the wheels to the 1.7 turns to the left while gently and simutaneously pushing inward on the passenger side tailight AND the driver side headlight, while chanting "I am WAY to into my car" and genuflecting vaguely in the direction of Detroit" crap that you have to go thru to do all of the available test routines...

I am exaggerating a tad and the first couple of tests are pretty much what you need and they aren't bad at all...

Timothy and "Hawthorne" a 93 Mark VII in MN

Back