Wipers will not park correctly?

maesime

Registered
When I turn wipers off they stop where ever they are and will not go back down off the windshield.

A local mechanic suggested I change the wiper motor. I found one cheap and it tested out and parked correctly. I installed it on my car and guess what?..........same problem! Is there a relay or something that sends the wipers back down when they are turned off?

RE: Wipers will not park correctly?

From the manual...

PINPOINT TEST E: WIPERS WILL NOT PARK BELOW WINDSHIELD

E1 CHECK FOR WIRE CONTINUITY

~ Turn wiper switch to OFF position.

~ Disconnect connector from wiper motor.

~ Check for continuity between circuits 28 (BK/PK) and 56 (DB/O).

~ Is there continuity?

Yes
PERFORM motor parking test.

No
GO to «E2».

E2 CHECK FOR WIPER CONTROL MODULE CONTINUITY

~ Turn ignition to OFF.

~ Disconnect connector from wiper control module.

~ Measure continuity between Pins 6 and 8 of wiper control module.

~ Is there continuity?

Yes
CHECK for:

~ Unseated connectors.

~ Open circuit between wiper control module and wiper motor. SERVICE as required.

No
GO to «E3».

E3 CHECK WIPER SWITCH FUNCTIONALITY

~ Turn wiper switch to OFF position.

~ Measure resistance between circuits 589 (O) and 993 (BR/W).

~ Is resistance between 45k ohms and 50k ohms?

Yes
REPLACE wiper control module.

No
CHECK for:

~ Unseated wiper switch connector.

~ Open circuit (589 (O) or 993 (BR/W)).

~ Damaged wiper switch. SERVICE as required.

I hope this helps. :)

OR, if the above tests are too much for you, pay close attention to the mechanical connection at the arm off of the motor. When you turn the wipers off, the motor turns the opposite direction, and the mechanical linkage at the above described point must rotate (internally) to allow the wipers to park. Frequently that point needs to be lubed. Use a high quality moly or silicone grease.

When you speak of the control module, is that another part or is that just the motor itself where the plug goes in?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
When you speak of the control module, is that another part or is that just the motor itself where the plug goes in?
[/div]

The wiper control module is located on the far left side of the instrument panel and is attached to the lower panel flange.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1724.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I am still trying to figure it out. I got the E1 test done last night and I am now at test E2......man I cant find that wiper control module! I hear it clciking but still cant get my hands on it.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Thanks for the help guys. I am still trying to figure it out. I got the E1 test done last night and I am now at test E2......man I cant find that wiper control module! I hear it clciking but still cant get my hands on it.
[/div]

Are you saying there was no continuity between circuits 28 (BK/PK) and 56 (DB/O) at the wiper motor?

Yes thats correct. I checked the 2 wires as idicated with my meter and there is no continuity.

Stumbled cross this older post but here is a writeup I did for another site a year and a half ago er so..."for the record". Whiplash15 is probably right. I would do this check before any electrical stuff. Save yourself the trouble. Most people have fixed this problem simply by removing the plastic cap and cleaning and lubing. If you buy a new motor and dont replace the linkage assembly then you still have the problem and will more than likely then think it is electrical. Frustrating!!! If you can excuse the crappy photos then here's what I thinks happening:

The motor spins clockwise for all functions including intermittent settings with one exception...PARK!!! When your wipers are parked there is a pin in the actuator (part connected to the motor shaft). If you look at the end (square end..not the shaft) you will see a plug much like a freeze plug only about 3/8" or so. There is a spring behind it and a pin I'll call the drive pin. When the motor turns clockwise the pin is locked against a flat in a steel hub in the center of the alloy actuator (under the plastic cap) and allows the actuator to turn the assembly making your wipers funtion normally. When you park your wipers the motor coils are electrically reversed and turns counterclockwise for half a cycle (180 degrees). The pin should then depress (beveled on that side of central hub so spring loaded pin should depress) and the motor will turn counter for 180 degrees parking them in the correct position (down). If the pin sticks...the motor turns 180 degrees countercloskwise anyway taking the actuator with it and your wipers go one half cycle puting them high noon. The problem is not the motor! The problem is the pin is stuck. The actuator may be part of the motor assembly but if you fix it you dont have to buy a new motor. MINE WORK NOW!!! The shop manual don't tell you anything about this. They don't even identify this part.
If you sprayed CRC or WD40 to get them to work then you got lucky enough to get some penetrant in there to get it to work...for now (thats probably how moisture and/or dirt got there to begin with. You got Damn lucky and you must have sprayed the hell out of it because there is a plastic cover to keep stuff out of that part of the assembly!

If this sounds like your problem here is what I did. To verify this remove the wipers, vent cowl, pad and plastic cover over the wiper motor shaft.

Once this stuff is removed you can pop the wipers back on (reinstall bat cable and or fuse) and view whats happening. If all is fine when you park them then the pin will not be in the notch. if it resides in the notch then they will be parked high noon (assuming you put them back on with the plastic key in)as in lower part of photo. When they are operating correctly even in delay the pin will be in the "drive" position as in the upper part of the photo. No matter where your wipers are positioned when you turn them off or park them it will take 180 degrees or less to bring them back to "home" or park. When you turn them on again the hub will spin until the pin falls into the notch engaging positive drive.

http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/wiperpark/parkvsdrive.jpg

If it is stuck then the motor shaft will turn 180 degrees counterclockwise taking the drive pin with it parking your wipers high. This pin is supposed to depress when the actuator arm (whatever it is called) encounters some resistance in the opposite direction. In most cases you could probably remove the plastic cover,

http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/wiperpark/undrvntcwl.jpg

(This is the plastic cap you have to remove to acces the internals. You will se an 8mm bolt underneath).

http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/wiperpark/cap.jpg

spray it clean and lube it up and it would probably start to work correctly. Working on a permanent solution that is working for me so far just need more time to post. I cut a few loops from the spring and tapped 7/16-14 X 1/4" and replaced the plug with a bolt and resurfaced the pin. Was too much spring pressure in my opinion.
http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/wiperpark/drivepincut.jpg

Here I chucked the pin in a drill and resurfaced it...then polish.

http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/wiperpark/drivepinassy.jpg
I tapped out the hole (Later) and intalled a bolt in the end. I guess a loctited setscrew would be best. Dont want the head of the bolt to get in anyones way. Oh well
http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/wiperpark/drivepinwear.jpg

Pin doesnt seem to wear evenly does it?

Anyway sorry for the crappy pics. I hope this helps someone!
Danny
http://home.att.net/~ndoghouse/m8/ufosig.jpg
93 Opalescent/Med Opal "UFO"
74 F100(69 302 4bbl Edlbrk,hdrs,heads...)
66 Mercedes 230S

That's excellent info Danny! :)

However, he tested another assembly and placed it in service only to have the same symptoms. That suggests to me he needs to continue with the electrical troubleshooting...

E2 CHECK FOR WIPER CONTROL MODULE CONTINUITY

~ Turn ignition to OFF.

~ Disconnect connector from wiper control module.

~ Measure continuity between Pins 6 and 8 of wiper control module.

~ Is there continuity?

Yes
CHECK for:

~ Unseated connectors.

~ Open circuit between wiper control module and wiper motor. SERVICE as required.

No
GO to «E3».

So the question now is, is there continuity between Pins 6 and 8 of wiper control module with the connector disconnected from the wiper control module?

Back