No hot air

D Day

Registered
While driving home a few nights ago I turn on the hot air because it was a little cool inside the car. No hot air ever came out it was just cool air. I did some searches to find out the cause of this and found that it is likely the blend door at fault. I ran a self diagnostic on the climate panel and I got 888, which is "no problems found." I took off a few parts to locate the blend door and it seems to look fine, no broken gray arm. It looks just like the picture. Is the broken part out of sight or is the gray arm the one that breaks.
Is this picture the broken one being taken out or the new one being put in?
http://mark8.org/lod/blend_door_repair/blend_door_actuator.jpg

RE: No hot air

Are you able to move the gray door arm?
Set the heat to 90 degree and see if you can move the gray arm, clockwise I believe, and you should get some heat. If you do then you have a bad blend arm; I think the other end is what breaks, not the gray arm.
The climate control diagnostic only checks that the motor inside the blend door assembly runs, not the movement of the arms.
Also, there are a couple of heater hoses that run on the passenger side of the engine compartment close to the firewall. After running the car for a while, check those hoses, they should both be hot. Those run through the heater core and if one is not hot, you could have a bad or clogged heater core.

And way to get in there to take that pic.

"Are you able to move the gray door arm?"
-Yes. I can move it up or down but not very far. about a 1/2-1 inch of play.

"Set the heat to 90 degree and see if you can move the gray arm, clockwise I believe, and you should get some heat. If you do then you have a bad blend arm; I think the other end is what breaks, not the gray arm. The climate control diagnostic only checks that the motor inside the blend door assembly runs, not the movement of the arms."
-The motor works because I was switching the climate from 60 to 90 degrees and I could feel the arm slowly moving up and down.

"Also, there are a couple of heater hoses that run on the passenger side of the engine compartment close to the firewall. After running the car for a while, check those hoses, they should both be hot. Those run through the heater core and if one is not hot, you could have a bad or clogged heater core."
Are these the heater hoses you're talking about?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2422000-2422999/2422205_8_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2422000-2422999/2422205_1.jpg
[i/]__________________Mark of the Cobra__________________
98 Mark VIII LSC Black N' Tan
94 Mark VIII Opal White
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2422205

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Are these the heater hoses you're talking about?
[/div]

No.

Top center of the pic shows it... sleeve covered hoses approximately 3/4" diameter back against the firewall. They connect to the backside of the engine and disappear into the firewall where the heater core resides.

Any update? Did you figure out the problem? Are the heater hoses hot or is it still the blend door.

My blend door is broken now too. I admit I haven't been looking forward to changing the part and as far as I can tell its been broken since mid-summer. This is going to be the second one I've had to replace.
On mine, I can move the blend door to get heat and it will stay there as long as I have the temp. set to 90, but if I turn on the A/C, the blend door is moved and it does get cold.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Those two tubes were every hot. I haven't fixed the blend door yet. It's still warm in CA so no real need yet. I'm a little hesitant since it is a PITA to get to.1) how long did it take you to do?2) did you reinforce the blend door arm?
[/div]

The first time it was done under warranty, so I don't know. From what other members have said, its a 5-8 hour job some can do it in less time. I'm also not looking forward to it, but I guess I'll do it myself since my warranty company was charged over $1000 for the repair last time.

I still need to get the part and will reinforce it.

Back