Headlamps dead

st1793

Registered
Neither of the headlamps are functioning. No trouble with either before they went out. Headlamp fuse in power distribution box looks good. Any ideas what else if could be??

RE: Headlamps dead

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Headlamp switch?
[/div]

I agree, check that. It is one of a couple of things that the dealer recalled these cars for.

You mean your headlights were alive at one point? Mine are almost like black holes.. If they stopped turning on, I think it might make an improvement. :9

Anyway, do they turn on automatically if you turn on Autolamp? Do the high beams ever come on? The high beam switch is a common source of headlight problems.. Try jiggling it around and seeing if that makes the headlights flicker or anything.

You may also have a bad multi-function switch. Pull the stalk towards you as you sit in the driver's seat with the headlights on and see if you get any headlights. The multi-function switch will keep the headlights from turning on as well. If the connections are bad, it will not know whether to turn the high or low beam headlights on or not. I took mine apart very slowly and carefully and rebuilt it. I never had a problem after that. My problems were the parking lights, though. The grease gets clogged inside and hangs up the switches and it needs to be cleaned, both the contacts and the springs. The springs are the fun, but if you are careful, it can be done.
The only way to find out if you have the newer headlight switch is to go to a dealer and ask using your VIN. Since, you are probably not the original owner, they are not required to replace the switch after all this time, but if not, it is something for you to do for safety. There is also a circuit breaker built into the switch as well, so that could be your problem too.

Back