Check Charging system

iowncars

Registered
I got a CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM on my dash. AutoZone said it was the alternator giving off too many amps. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
I just signed up for LOD and look forward to getting to know some fellow MARK VIII owners.

PEACE

RE: Check Charging system

Did they put a code reader on it or is that just an off the cuff diagnosis?? In any case, that diagnosis could be right, and if in fact it is, dont buy a unit from Aito Zone. Their alternators have a habit of failing within a month. Just not a quality unit for a car with so much eletronics depending on it.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I got a CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM on my dash. AutoZone said it was the alternator giving off too many amps. Does that sound right? Thanks,I just signed up for LOD and look forward to getting to know some fellow MARK VIII owners. PEACE
[/div]

Only one way to find out. Use a digital volt meter with engine off and take reading at battery. Then take reading with engine running at idle at alternator, and at battery. Then do a reading with all accessories on including AC and lights at idle. That should tell you exactly what its doing. And if its overcharging where to look for where its dropping the voltage to make your alt kick on overtime. Over charging alt to me tells me that the battery isnt taking charge normally. I'd get the drawdown test on battery first. Alternator may still be good.
Check your fuzable links under the underhood fusebox also. Mine were corroded on original setup and i cut them out and replaced with a replaceable MAX fuse. Also make sure the ground is good to engine and Ohm out the positive wire from alternator to battery. Mine had green corrosion inside it after i cut it open even though the outside of the cable still looked good.
Also, if youre going to buy an alternator spend the extra cash and get Ford Motorcraft new one. Most of the auto parts stores will sell you a lifetime replacement (rebuilt)115 AMP unit made by mitusbishi. Garbage...unless you like replacing it every year. Go for one of the 130 AMP Ford Motorcraft Mustang Cobra units and get it from the dealership or NAPA that only sells new ones.
Our cars have way too many accessories and that air ride pump that overwhelms the 115 AMP factory unit quick when it starts seeing its age.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U

THANKS for the info. I priced around for a little and found that NAPA had the best deal anyway!! Thanks for all the info. I love this site already. AutoZone wanted $180 witha $90 core. Napa was $166 and $60 for the Cobra alternator.

It fixed the problem. THANKS AGAIN

Back