Brown Headlight lenses

ovysimac

Registered
Hello All:

My driver's side lens in my 93 MK8 is so brown, it seems deep-fryed! Tried to polish the outside, but it seems that it is browned on the inside, which brings my question: Can I remove only the lens and clean it? If so, what's the procedure to remove the lens? Is there any other way to clean the inside of the lens? Any other tips on this topic are appreciated.

Another thought: for less than the price of one used headlight on eBay, I was thinking to instal slim profile fog lights either under the front bumper or in a cutout (that I would have to make) in the bumper cover. Any thoughts, tips or experience on this?

Thank you, and best wishes.

RE: Brown Headlight lenses

Ovy,
There is so much already been written on this subject that if you would do a search on 'headlights', you will have enough reading material to keep you up all weekend. As I have a Gen II, I don't know too much about the repair. Heck, I even had to polish my '97's headlights.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

If it's brown on the inside, the reflector inside is burnt. Just a fact of the Gen1 design.

When I first got mine, I had luck polishing the lenses. Alas, it was a short lived fix as it soon became apparent the issue was the reflector.

You can still get new Gen1 housings. I recommend the HIR(Halogen Infrared Reflecting) 9005 bulbs as they produce more light with less heat.

Of course you could also try to find the HID lights for the '96 LSC which will swap in. They are relatively expensive and as of late, the bulbs have been scarce.

yeah man they make polishing kits for the headlights but i know ion some of the lincolns its a whole headlight assembly you have to take out you can't just take out the lenses bummer:( but i would try the polishing kit first and if that does not work i would say try maybe getting the covers that u can use they carry em there aftermarket covers they have smoked out ones and clear choice is up to you but good luck man

Thank you guys for the advice.
I managed to buy an used driver's side headlight from ebay ($45) that is much clearer and managed to clean the passenger side halfway decently (this one is not as fried as the driver's). Hope to get 1-2 years out of them.
Can you believe that the one fron ebay is just a tad shorter (about 1/8") - I ralized that only after I installed it; the clearance to the sides of this (driver's) light is larger than on the other (passenger's) side. Definitely they were snoozing in Detroit when they designed these lights - everything is plastic that is so frail, I had to epoxy some clamp holders, etc. to make it work.
Now I hve a custom headlight! (LOL):D

Back