No Heat 96 lsc

cruisincapri80

Registered
Alright I've changed the heater core but the retard that helped me had a bright idea. he attempted to cut the heat duct in half. I got it all sealed back up and everything works except it doesn't seem to change all the way to 90 degrees. I changed the thermostat anf both lines going into the heater core are extremely hot as they should be. it got really cold up here today and this needs to get fixed. Please help!

RE: No Heat 96 lsc

If the car sits and idles for a long time the heat does get luke warm. if the blower is turned up to high all the heat goes away I can nurse it up to about half speed. Any higher and bye bye to the luke warm heat.Im pretty sure that it has something to do with the blend door. From what i have read there is no gray blend door arm on the 1 st gens. There is a 93 and a 95 in my area i can go get parts from. I have no fear of removing the dash again but I really don't know where to even start in diagnosing the problem. Any one have simmilar issues? I will change the entire heater box if needed but i'm pretty positive everything inside of it is funtioning properly. Which parts control it and what should I be looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated

As far as i know the blend door arm on the gen 2's is not found on gen1's there must be some other sort of control for the blend door i have looked through all of those pages more than once and have spent alot of time searching for info about this. I really can't seem to figure it out. x( Its driving me absolutely insane and there is no way i can go through another winter this way. Can someone please help?? Even some sort of diagram or an explanation of what controls the blending of cold air and hot air... as far as i know there is no control valve for coolant flow through the heater core but I could be wrong. I am fairly mechanically inclined and am capable of fixing it myself, just need to be pointed in a direction. Next wendsday i will be tearing into this project as it absolutely has to have heat. I can't handle it and i will absolutely not put my son through riding in my cold car. Hopefully this will be my marks last winter run and i want it to be a good one. Someone please help!!

I found this by doing an advanced search for this forum. If this doesn't help, I suggest you do the same. Use the search tool and then go to advanced search. Click the "AND" box and type in Gen I and No Heat. In the Gen I, it does sound like a vaccuum leak.

#4127, "RE: AIR VACUUM LEAK??"
In response to Reply # 2

Your real problem is the check valve on the black plastic vacuum line going towards the passenger's side fender where the vacuum reservoir is located. You do not have a leak, and you do not have to remove all your A/C components. A '94 EVTM shows a check valve running along the top of the firewall between the center of the car and the passenger's side. It is held in place by the connected hoses and a nylon plastic strip. You are looking for a small disc, (about 1" round) connected to another cylinderical body on a 90 degree angle with a total of 3 vacuum connections - 1 at the circular head, (which is connected to the vacuum source port on the engine) and 2 connections coming out the side (connection closest to the circular part goes to the vacuum tank and the farthest connection goes through the firewall to the A/C control head). The color of this unit is usually black and is very easy to change. Ford uses them in many of their cars with A/C. So, if you cannot find the part at a Lincoln dealer, just use a Ford part. I would assume that a Gen2 vehicle would be the same. The '98 EVTM does not show that part of the car in detail.
Since you are moving the plastic hoses, be very careful, they break easily. The ends will have a rubber adapter on them. Make sure you keep them on the hose and remove them off the check valve. The best way to remove the connections is to pinch the rubber around the valve and twist it until the seal breaks and then the rubber will pull out easily. Don't try to just pull them out. You WILL break the plastic hose or the rubber from the hose. You will be able to feel when the rubber seal is broken from the plastic on the check valve.
Then remove the hose with the adapter. Make sure you know where to replace each hose, it's important to the operation of the A/C controls.
The check valve holds in accumulated vacuum for the A/C system in the vacuum reservoir mounted inside the right front tire housing compartment behind the plastic shroud. That way, when you are at full throttle or close to it, you will not lose the setting of the A/C control vacuum motors. The system automatically defaults to the defrost mode when there is no vacuum to let you know there is something wrong with the vacuum system and also to make sure you can see if vacuum is lost for any reason. But, by saying the A/C settings change when you are accelerating, it is definately the check valve. If it does not change from defrost when you are idling, then there is a leak in the vacuum system.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

It does switch correctly from floor to vent to defrost this is not the problem. My problem is gettting the heat to come out of these places the ac worked great all summer so i figure it has to be whatever switches it between heat and a/c nothing changes when i accelerate except the temp of the air coming out of the duct work. It goes from luke warm to cold (the air outside) and hardly ever actually puts out any heat. 27 degrees out this mornin and i have no heat this is unacceptable. I know that the second gen cars have Blend door arm problems but from what i have read there is no such arm on the first gen cars and i dont remember seeing anything like that when i was in there and i def can't see one on the left side of the glove box in there. So my conclucion is that whatever controls the blending of fresh air, heat and a/c. anyone know what controls this on the gen 1 cars and if there is a problem area with these cars. Thanks for that info about that part that kind of elliminates the vacuum system since it does properly function between the different output areas just will not select the right temp
thanks again. off to school i go in a really cold car and its even been running for twenty minutes! xo

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Ummm....you could just get outta Dodge and move to a warmer clim.....just joking.Bud Pytko'97 LSC Silver Frost'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige'94 Prowler 5th Wheel http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg
[/div]

If only that was an option. I really like it up here but this no heat in the car thing really needs to get fixed.

I wish someone else would weigh in with some suggestions...

Thank you, Bud for the pointers i will try replacing that vacuum valve with one off a parts car and see if that changes anything but i have a hunch that isn't the problem.

From what i remember there was some sort of black box? don't know what that part actually was... that controlled a door inside the duct work directly after the heater coreand i'm pretty sure it had wires coming into it. This would probably be the door that controls the air coming across the heater core and the fresh air coming in from wherever it comes in.

My "chilton" p.o.s. doesn't exactly go in depth into the hvac system and this is the only reference i have available at this time. If some one could email some information about what exactly goes on there or where i can go to find it in a timely member i would be a happy man. I don't want to go in there blind not knowing what i'm looking for.

Thanks again
Charles

The only problem with that is i won't have the information that i need by next wednesday when i was hoping to tear into this project i was h oping to find something to help me out in the meantime. I have been trying to get around to ordering one up, but I forget until something goes wrong with the car again. Definetly ordering one tomorrow. thanks again for the help
chuck

Well for an update i ordered a blend door atuator motor from ford yesterday. After many hours of research its all i can come up with. should receive it Tuesday hopefully this will go better the second time.

Back