Ignition cyclinder removal help

beerdog

Registered
Has anyone removed the dash mounted ignition cyclinder on marks before?

Cannot turn the key anymore. Have gotten as far as getting the whole assembly loose. It looks like the only item preventing full removal is removing the plastic face cover.

RE: Ignition cyclinder removal help

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Has anyone removed the dash mounted ignition cyclinder on marks before?Cannot turn the key anymore. Have gotten as far as getting the whole assembly loose. It looks like the only item preventing full removal is removing the plastic face cover.
[/div]

If you know how to open a locked bathroom door from the outside, this is the same thing here. There is a little (1/16") hole on the steering column directly underneath the cylinder where a long nail (1.5") needs to be inserted to unlock the cylinder and remove it. Like a bathroom door, it can be tricky to hit the release button.

From the 1997 CD:

Ignition Switch

Removal

1. Note:
Individual lock cylinders are repaired by discarding the inoperative cylinder and building a new lock cylinder using the appropriate lock repair package. The lock repair package includes a detailed instruction sheet to build the new lock cylinder to the current key code of the vehicle.
Disconnect the negative and positive battery cables; refer to «Section 414-01».
µ 2. Remove the screws and detach the LH instrument panel insulator.
µ 3. Disconnect the lamp and remove the instrument panel insulator.
4. Remove the instrument panel steering column cover.
l Remove the screws.
l Remove the instrument panel steering column cover.

µ 5. Note:
The tab is located between the sensor end and an ignition switch cylinder bracket.
Depress the ignition switch lock cylinder tab and pull out the ignition switch lock cylinder.
µ 6. Remove the ignition switch bezel.
7. Disconnect the connector.
µ 8. Disconnect the ignition/shifter interlock cable (3F719).
1 Press the tab.
2 Release the ignition/shifter interlock cable from the pawl.
µ 9. Remove the screws and the ignition switch.

Note: As your vehicle has the PATS security system, be aware that re-installation may involve more than just removing the switch.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

well, I was able to get it working again by tapping the cylinder face with a small hammer. Must have knocked what ever was jamming it loose for now. Good 'ol hammer.....fixes everything! It did jam on me last week but it came loose after trying it a dozen times so I am going to need to replace the cyclinder anyways. From some other posts it looks like it is much easier if it can be turned to the on position.

I will post some pictures of the assembly. I think I see the 1/8" hole you are referring to. I will post the pictures later today. My USB cable is at work.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Has anyone removed the dash mounted ignition cyclinder on marks before?Cannot turn the key anymore. Have gotten as far as getting the whole assembly loose. It looks like the only item preventing full removal is removing the plastic face cover. [/div]If you know how to open a locked bathroom door from the outside, this is the same thing here. There is a little (1/16") hole on the steering column directly underneath the cylinder where a long nail (1.5") needs to be inserted to unlock the cylinder and remove it. Like a bathroom door, it can be tricky to hit the release button.
[/div]

Ah...yeah...nevermind.

I have the 1998 CD. What section was it in? I could not find anything in the 98 CD on how to remove the cyclinder. All I could find was statement saying it must be replaced.

The directions to remove and install the ignition switch are in the Service manual part of the CD. <<1998 Mark VIII Table of Contents>> Group 2: Chassis>> <<Section 211-04: Steering Column>> << Removal and Installation>>
It starts with the Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Removal.

Back