Low Beams dont work!

Dalouda

Registered
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 94 mark 8 off my Girlfriends mom for 100 dollars. It didnt run when i got it but it had a rebuilt motor in it. I put a fuel pump, New ignition, New driver door lock actuator, New suspention convertion kit, and some interior parts on it.

The two things i haven't fixed yet are the low beam that dont turn on, so I put the day time running lamps in the headlight spot for now. Also the car shifts into second gear quite hard.

Although the headlights the low beams are not working the high beams still come on. Does anyone know how to fix the head light problem?

I will post some pic of the car soon.::wtf::

RE: Low Beams dont work!

Welcome!

The hard shift into second sounds like the 1-2 accumulator problem. read this link, it explains it:

http://mark8.org/lod/1_2_Accumulator_paper.htm

As far as the lights go, have you tried swapping the bulbs from the high beams to the low beams? They can be swapped easily by just unplugging the sockets.

Does your car have daytime running lights? Did you buy it in Canada?

Yea the day time running lamps work thats the only reason i can drive at night.

The low beams and high beams are the same bulbs. The day time running lamps are there own bulb.

I took the daytime running lamps and put them in the highlight spot. I took the headlights and put them in the daytime running lamp spot. Also i changed the headlight shockets.

I just can't figure this one out! xo

I like your Marks bill. Mine is a White 94 with 150k on it.

Your headlights must be very weak at night.

I live near your area, I'll keep an eye out for a white Mark with it's headlights on during the day or with dim lights at night..:)

Are you comfortable using a volt ohm meter? I checked my 94 service manual and there is a section that explains the system and shows how to test it. According to the manual, you might have a bad DRL relay or some bad wiring. I'd check the DRL relay first.

The high low switch works fine. Relay would make sense. I could use a voltage but I don’t have one. The recall back in 98 had something to do with the headlight switch. I wonder if this could have anything to do with this.

I see you live on the island bill. I take rides down the eastern shore line in the summer. Great view!

I suspect the headlight switch. FLM headlight switches are notorious for being faulty because of the headlamp load going through the switch. Number one reason a relay setup is a excellent mod because it removes the load from the switch and puts it through a set of relay contacts.

Ill have to look at the headlight switch then. Hopefully its not the wiring.:eek:

Sometimes the harness plug melts some from the heat and the contacts fail. If so, a new harness plug can be retrofitted and the wiring re-pinned.

Back