Fuel Level Error??

kflikt815

Registered
I have a quick question for you guys I tryed searching around a little bit but couldn't find an answer. Basically my fuel guage by the tach and odometer is not working it shows I have a full tank even if it is all the way empty. And my computer always says low fuel level even if the tank is all the way full. The total gallons used and the average MPG works just fine but the miles to empty and the others shows FUEL LEVEL ERROR. Just wondering what exactly could be causing this?

RE: Fuel Level Error??

This is just a guess on my part, but here goes anyway. Do you fill your tank with the engine running? If so, don't. I know Ford trucks, esp diesel, has a big problem doing almost same thing. Try filling it next time with engine (key) off.

Next hint would be to reset everything....disconnect ground side of battery for an hour...or remove BOTH battery leads and touch plus and neg together. BE SURE TO REMOVE BOTH LEADS!!!! I would do this with a close to empty tank. Refuel and see what happens. If it stays wrong, looks like you would have to drop tank and investigate. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge with the system will chime in here.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

Thanks for answering my question so quick. To answer your questions no I do not ever fill up my car while running. Since the day I bought the car the guage and the message center have always been like that howver I had quite a few bigger problems to deal with besdes this one. I also put a new battery in about a month or so thats probably not the problem either.

Didn't help much...you first have to see if you have any fault codes. You can not do this with a cheapy tester, nor can Auto Zone. You need the Ford STAR tester or equiv. There's a problem between the fuel pump in the tank and/or the Indicator/Message Center.

If you have access to the STAR tester, I recommend you pick up a Maint Manual for your year car. I got mine on ebay. It has all the troubleshooting procedures on it. Good Luck.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

Test the sending unit. From the manual...

Calibration Test

The required test equipment consists of Rotunda Instrument Gauge System Tester 021-00055 or equivalent, a pair of 22 ohm and 145 ohm resistors or another fuel sender of known quality.

If the test is performed with the resistors: Disconnect the wiring connector at the fuel tank sending unit and pump, connect the resistor between the gauge lead and a suitable ground, and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. With the 145 ohm resistor, the gauge should contact the FULL mark at minimum edge of pointer to minimum edge of mark. With the 22 ohm resistor, the gauge pointer should contact the EMPTY mark (edge of pointer to edge of mark).

NOTE:
Due to the anti-slosh feature of the message center, the ignition switch has to be cycled between OFF and RUN when changing test resistor values.

If the test is performed with a fuel sender of known quality, use the following procedure:

1. Turn ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Disconnect the wiring connector from the fuel tank sending unit and pump and connect it to the test sender.

3. Move the float rod away from the fuel filter against the FULL stop position (approximately 145 ohms). Wait approximately 30 seconds and turn ignition switch to the ON position. The gauge should read on or above the FULL mark.

4. Move the float rod toward the fuel filter against the EMPTY stop position (approximately 22 ohms). Turn ignition switch to the OFF position. Wait approximately 30 seconds and turn ignition switch to the ON position. The gauge should read on or below the EMPTY mark.

5. If the gauge performs as indicated, perform the fuel gauge diagnosis, «Pinpoint Test D.»

6. If the gauge is out of calibration at the EMPTY mark, or both the EMPTY and FULL mark, replace the gauge.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1836.jpg

I hope this helps! :)

The easiest thing would be to measure the resistance of the tank sender at the connector shown above. This connector is between the tanks and the frame. You may need to remove a small U shapped piece of sheet metal (heat shield) to see it.

Disconnect the connector from the car (One end is still connected to the fuel tank.) Using an OHM meter, tap into the PLUS and MINUS leads of the connector side that goes to the tank. You don't need to worry about polarity.

Now depending on if the tank is full or empty you should see a reading betwen the two ohm readings shown above.

If it shows SHORTED (chances are it will, from your discription), you are gonna have to replace the sensor.

If it shows good resistance between the two values, you have a short on that line further up toward the gauge.

Back