JBL Audio Problems

mpsjr

Registered
Well, I think my JBL system died. I've got a '97 Mark VIII and a few months ago the sound went out on my factory JBL system. I was on my way to Houston and the radio just quit playing. All I was getting from the speakers was periodic bursts of static followed by a high pitched squeel. The radio eventually started playing again, but a few days ago the squeel came back. When/If the radio plays, it only lasts for about 7 seconds and then nothing, or it starts squeeling. I tried a different amp, thinking that was the problem, but I'm getting nothing out of either amp now. One thing I noticed today is that I'm getting feedback from the interior lights. I can hear a low pitched sound that fades out when the interior lights dim. I checked for power coming from the radio in the form of speaker signal output, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there. Also, I've checked the power at the amp, and it seems fine as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've checked everything I can think of, including the 3 fuses in the interior panel, and the one under the hood. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a fuse on the amp or radio that I overlooked? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a total loss. Thanks.

RE: JBL Audio Problems

From your description, it appears the amp has died? Was the other amp known to be good?

I suppose it could be the head unit(radio). I had a friend whose JBL system was acting up and I gave him my OEM radio since I upgraded to an aftermarket setup. It fixed his problems he was having.

The other amp was supposedly tested and working. As far as I can tell, both amps are receiving power as well as putting out power; just no sound. I don't have another head unit to try, so that could very well be the problem, although the squeel I was experiencing reminded me of feedback on a PA system. I don't see how the head unit would cause that, but without another one to try out,it could be the problem.

Driller,

What Deck did you go with? Also, did you stay with the factory full range speakers and just change the amp?

For some odd reason, crutchfield.com doesnt' have any records of what a 97 Mark has for speaker sizes. I guess it might be in my manual...but I haven't checked yet.

Did you put a sub in the trunk...and if so, did you have to spend a lot of time sealing it off?

I want high quality sound in the cabin...but I may put a single sealed 10'' sub in trunk...but I hate rattle...so I guess I have to look into it further.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
The other amp was supposedly tested and working. As far as I can tell, both amps are receiving power as well as putting out power; just no sound. I don't have another head unit to try, so that could very well be the problem, although the squeel I was experiencing reminded me of feedback on a PA system. I don't see how the head unit would cause that, but without another one to try out,it could be the problem.
[/div]

If your stereo is affecting your other electrical systems, I'd suspect a short somewhere.

I have a spare factory Ford radio with the tape player built in...if you have the cd changer ibn the truck, this is what you need. I'll let it go for what I paid for it. $50.00 plus shipping. My 97 didn't have the changer and I was going to put one in but instead got the radio with the single cd player in dash instead. It did try it out...works great.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

I had the squealing noise a few times too. It would come and go.

I replaced the JBL amp and haven't heard it since.

For some odd reason, crutchfield.com doesnt' have any records of what a 97 Mark has for speaker sizes.
[/div]

The same reason that a lot of aftermarket firms don't know or make much for the Mark: why spend a lot of research, design, and fabrication time on a car that sold only about a quarter million units - a huge chunk of which aren't even on the road anymore.

To answer your question though, the front and rear speaker size (at least for a 96) is 5x7 or 6x8 - both are usable. The better sound systems also had two separate 2" tweeters on each front side.

My 97 didn't have the changer and I was going to put one in but instead got the radio with the single cd player in dash instead.
[/div]

Does it play MP3 discs also? I went that route and now only need one disc for all my music.

Don't have the slightest idea. I don't own a cd with mp3 files on it...I've listened to someone elses and I didn't care for the sound. Sounds like half the music was gone... I'll druther vinyl thanks
...but full file audio is...OK. Would be nice to hear an LP in a vehicle wouldn't it? Guess you'd need a really SOFT suspension.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

Everything in the car is factory, including the "new" amp I tried. Nothing's working as far as getting any sound of out of the speakers. I do have the JBL head unit with the cassette player and changer controls. I've tried chasing down the problems, but it hasn't helped yet. The "new" amp didn't change anything, except that I'm not even getting the intermittent sound or squeeling. The only thing I know of that I can change now is the headunit. Of course, I'll have to wait until after Christmas as funding is somewhat of a problem at the moment, being as I just spent $50 on an amp that didn't fix my problem.

Driller,What Deck did you go with? Also, did you stay with the factory full range speakers and just change the amp?[/div]

I replaced the factory setup with...

Alpine CDA9847 AM/FM/CD/MP3/IPOD Receiver - 50W x 4
Alpine MRPF240 4 channel Amplifier - 50W x 4
4 RockFord Fosgate HPC 2268 6x8 coaxial speakers - 150 watt
RockFord Fosgate P11254 Subwoofer - 12" - 300 watt/4 ohm
RockFord FosGate P2002 200 watt Amplifier(50W x 2 @ 4 ohm)

I've since replaced the sub and sub amp with...

Elemental Design NINe.1 Class D Amplifier
RMS Power @ 12.5v : 1200 x 1 @1 ohm,900 x 1 @2 Ohm,450 x 1 @4 Ohm

and

Elemental Design 13Ov.2 Subwoofer
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils rated at 600 WRms

Don't have the slightest idea. I don't own a cd with mp3 files on it...I've listened to someone elses and I didn't care for the sound. Sounds like half the music was gone... I'll druther vinyl thanks ...but full file audio is...OK. Would be nice to hear an LP in a vehicle wouldn't it? Guess you'd need a really SOFT suspension.Bud Pytko'97 LSC Silver Frost'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige'94 Prowler 5th Wheel http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg
[/div]

The MP3 disc you heard must have been sampled at a very low bit rate, like 64 bit. Most people can't tell the difference at 128 bits, and no one can tell the difference at 300+. Of course the file size increases as the bitrate increases. The bitrate of regular CD music files (.cda) is between 1K and 2K.

In short, the MP3 disc you heard was not made properly.

Back