1998 Cassette to CD player with JBL

Wayne Orwig

Registered
I have a 1998 Mark VIII.
It has an in dash cassette player with CD controls for a remote CD changer. I don't have the changer and really don't want a remote changer. I was given a Ford in dash cassette WITH a single CD player, which I would like to use. It is from a 1998 Ford truck.

This radio I was given looks like it will fit, but the connections don't match as I had hoped, as it isn't a simple plug in. The speakers are labeled JBL, so I'm guessing there is a remote amplifier somewhere resulting in the unique connections.

What is the easiest way for me to put a CD player in this car? I would actually prefer something with MP3/WMA anyway. But I want it to remain 'stock' looking (no blinking blue lights) :B

Crutchfield knows nothing about the car and can't help. Is the radio a true double DIN?

Sorry if this has been covered a million times before but from a search it wasn't real obvious.

Thanks.

RE: 1998 Cassette to CD player with JBL

Wayne,

Lincoln offered a single in dash Mark VIII CD Player in 97/98 !

I have one for sale for $ 125.00 plus shipping !

I have sent an email to you !

Good Luck,
Sonny
cdaout1@cox.net

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Wayne,Lincoln offered a single in dash Mark VIII CD Player in 97/98 !I have one for sale for $ 125.00 plus shipping !I have sent an email to you !Good Luck,Sonnycdaout1@cox.net
[/div]

Will it plug directly into the JBL cabling?

Will an aftermarket adapter plug directly into the JBL cabling?

Wayne,

It will plug into your original wiring harness ! It is Original Equipment for a 97/98 Mark VIII ! I have tried it in one of my cars that came with the Cassette/CD Controller ! I keep one in the trunk so that I can change to a single CD Player when I want to ! I say when I want to , but it is when my wife wants to do so ! She likes to change to any CD when we are on a trip ! The Cassette/CD Controller will not work on a CD Player Harness , but the CD Player will work on the CD Controller Harness !

Good Luck,
Sonny

Let me try another approach to my question.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the radio?

Does this mean nobody has replaced the radio with an aftermarket?
This car is not on the conversion chart at Best Buy.

This car is not on the conversion chart at Best Buy.
[/div]

That is because the JBL system does not conform to the EIA protocol.

Try a local dealer/installer for high end aftermarket audio equipment. They most likely will be able to help.

I recently replaced my stock radio with a Sony Xplod. I purchased the radio, wiring harness interface, and mounting kit (Scoche branded, hope i spelled that right) at Walmart. Aside from the time it took to wire everything outside the car, the install took about 30 minutes. It will plug & play with your JBL system, but will not control the trunk changer. I removed the nonfunctional changer anyway. The stock radio has a double-din sized face in a d-d dash opening, but the chassis is single-din. As such, any d-d or s-d unit should fit.

You have to buy 2 separate harnesses-ones a reverse and ones a regular.Reverse alows you to put say a ford radio into any car and the regular alows aftermarket to your lincoln,so basically you have 2 sets of harnesses each with bare wires on one end-match up the colors and connect and then it will become one long harness with 1 end pugging into the ford radio and the other to your stock lincoln harness.When I used to intall radios we would use the reverse harnesses to re-install factory radios where the owner had hacked off the plug ends and direct wired thier aftermaket radio in-hope this helps

You do have a true double din. [/div]

I got a double din. Doesn't fit.

There is an electric control box of some type wrapped in foam too close to the top, so I had to relocate it. The dash opening (behind the wood grain) isn't tall enough, so I had to trim that open. I need to add a filler to the left and right side in the front woodgrain bezel yet, but it looks OK as is. And I had to fabricate some brackets.

I found that Scosche makes a pigtail that is compatable with the factory JBL, plus you need to wire in a level converter to use the factory amp/wiring.

I now have a cassette/cd/mp3/wma/xm radio with aux inputs that isn't too gawdy with flashing lights.

Now the wife can stop complaining. :D

Back