Air Bag Error Code 34

HOTLNC

Charter Member
Paid Member
According to the BOOK, this is "Driver's side air bag circuit low resistance or shorted."

Anybody had this before?

FYI: I have a headlamp combo switch on order with Torrie. The turn signals do not operate. I looked and have plenty of blinker fluid. Headlamps/High beams are all OK.

RE: Air Bag Error Code 34

Jerry, this is the alternate code for 32, "driver's airbag circuit high or open".

90% of the time, these two codes indicate a clockspring (referred to in most shop manuals as Airbag Sliding Contact) malfunction. It's the round dohicky behind the steering wheel that allows the stationary column wiring to keep contact with the components in the rotating wheel.

The alternate codes will help you diagnose the problem.

Remove the column shrouds, follow the wiring from the clockspring, and unplug the connector. The airbag circuit will now be open, and the 34 will become a 32 if the short's in the clockspring.

If the 34's still there... well, let's cross that bridge if we get to it!

Thanks for the feedback.

I went out there to try your suggestion and the steering wheel figured out what I was going. It is not throwing any codes now. The #1 daughter says that it does it off and on.

The next time it does it I'll be ready!

That's typical of clockspring problems. Quite often the wheel must be rotated to a very specific position for the short or open to be evident.

Try rotating the steering wheel very slowly from lock to lock.

Also you might want to see if your horn and cruise control work.

My clockspring broke completley and took the horn and cruise with it.

Oh, yeah! Good point!

When the clockspring goes bad, it can affect any, some, or all of the steering wheel electrical functions.

On some of Ford's other model lines that have radio, EATC, and/or message center controls on the wheel, those functions also pass through the clockspring.

I have a "Airbag 32 error code", now that I know what it is. Is this something that I can fix or is the part bad? Do I have to "test" it? can it be tested. How much is the clockspring?

Back