steering wheel loose

Mike P

c:enter
Staff member
Paid Member
My steering wheel is all electronic and is loose, it has a clanky metallic sound like when I turn it or manually move it up and down it sounds like two metal plates clanking together, what is int here and what should I do to start to fix it?

RE: steering wheel loose

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
My steering wheel is all electronic and is loose, it has a clanky metallic sound like when I turn it or manually move it up and down it sounds like two metal plates clanking together, what is int here and what should I do to start to fix it?
[/div]

All electronic?

I think you may be experiencing a common problem in the column, not the joint. Do a search.

Does it wobble up and down? Sounds to me like the tilt mechanism is the problem. There are fasteners in there that may be coming loose and if that's the case you need to to look into it right away. A bolt or other part vibrating loose can jam the steering... not a good thing!

There are guys that specialize in steering column work, you'll have to ask around but I'm sure there is someone near you.

edit: I see you're in Ridge, NY. Is that the Ridge in Suffolk or upstate? If you're on LI I know a steering column guy.

yea Long Island and it sounds exactly like what you say. At times it does jam alittle but immediately relieves itself. But I dont want it to get worse.

edit- and by all electronic I mean it telescopes and raises and lowers electronically

I got this fixed finally, just an update. I like the new forums, much easier to follow now!

Back