Battery? Alternator? Both? or...?

ovysimac

Registered
Hello All:
A few days ago, after making a sharp evasive move on my 93 M8 at hard acceleration (at about 45-55 mph):
-The dash lights went out for a few sec, then came back on. They never went off since.
- The climate control goes off and comes on by itself, as if the power is cut off. When it comes on, first it initializes (illuminates)ALL the possible displays on the screen (not just the temp and auto or vent as when you turn the ignition on). It momentarily does this when is off and even with the fuse (no. 16 in the OM) removed!! When "off" is pushed, the whole display goes blank.
- Sometimes the air bag light fhashes on/off for a few times, sometimes longer.
- The Antilock light sometimes comes on for a few secs, and sometimes longer
- Sometimes the "Check charge system" comes on for a few secs, goes off, and then it may come on or not.
- Revving the engine in neutral brightens the headlights and every light in the dash.
- Even my rear solenoids may not vent sometimes when parked (not that often though).
Suspecting an alt overcharge I checked (as the manual said) the base voltage (12.5V); the no load voltage (15.6!!). Being more than 2.5V over the base voltage I think that I definitely have an overcharge. I will need to perform one more generator test to see if it is the regulator going bad (short?) or the problem is in what the repair manual calls "circuit A".
Questions:
1.Would an overcharge cause all the above described malfunctions?
2. Could it be only the battery going bad and not the regulator? The top of the batt is sometimes wet.
3.Anybody has any experience or info on this kind of behavior? All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thank you and apologies for such a long post.

RE: Battery? Alternator? Both? or...?

Sounds like overcharging to me.

The first thing I would do is clean the top of you battery off with a baking soda and water solution, being careful not to get any solution into the battery vents. Battery acid can be dangerous and corrosive. Then I would disconnect the battery and remove it, and clean the area and battery of any remaining acid.

When the battery is out, I'd check the level of charge and if it's OK, run a load test on it. This should tell you if the battery is good.

You can take the alternator in to most autoparts stores, and have it tested. They can also load test the battery.

I think it's best to test both, the battery and the alternator before buying either.

Thanks Bill for your input; it looks like I've got the work cut out for me this weekend!
Do you think that an overcharge would cause all those lights and message center going beserk?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Thanks Bill for your input; it looks like I've got the work cut out for me this weekend!Do you think that an overcharge would cause all those lights and message center going beserk?
[/div]

Yes, weird things can happen when there is a charging problem.

I wouldn't drive the car until you do the tests. You could end up damaging the electrical systems.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Thanks Bill for your input; it looks like I've got the work cut out for me this weekend!Do you think that an overcharge would cause all those lights and message center going beserk?
[/div]

A bad voltage regulator will do that. It is inside the alternator. I know because I replaced a separate voltage regulator from an 85 TBird I used to have. It was causing the exact same problems.

If you go to Advance Auto Parts they have a unit that they wheel out to the car that can check your battery, starter, and alternator. This would be the unit you should use, or bring the battery inside and they also have a battery charger/tester that they can put on the battery (some times takes a while if battery is weak) that will charge and then check the batterty. They dial in the CC Amps to check it. There is also a gage that just clips on to the + and - poles, but it is not as accurate as the other two methods.

Back