Electric fan wiring

imlikeojnow

Registered
hey guys and gals i was wondering if you could tell me what wires are what on the mark 8 fan. the one i got has two black wires and a blue one. Thanks in advance

ken

RE: Electric fan wiring

WELCOME! :)

Blue = + voltage from VCRM.

Outside black = ground

Middle = no connection

haha Driller you just spit that info out like nothing. lol

I went crazy looking through my entire wire schematics book for him and made copies of the layout, and nowhere on my diagrams does it show the cooling fan at all. Although i didnt check the CD and im sure its probabaly on there somewhere.
I knew it was conrolled by the VCRM, and EEC, but nowhere on the wiring digrams does it say the colors and pinouts.
Good find. So what was the middle wire for? Crossover from another vehicle?

Ken, put some pics of the Bronco up so others can see what your workin on.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
haha Driller you just spit that info out like nothing. lol
[/div]

If you recall, I have a cooling fan mod I put in my '93 to maintain steady temps at the track.

http://mark8.org/users/driller/pics/Schematic.jpg

I think the fan is used in the MN12 chassis as well and would need to look at the MN12 schematics to see if the 3rd pin is used.

Cool, so when you give power to R1 relay, your sending true battery voltage fulltime to the fan? Is it that much faster? Basicly bypassing the VCRM till you turn it back? Cool....Have you noticed a difference in using it?

Big difference. The fan is typically only on 1/2 speed with the AC on. And with the AC off(at the track), the fan does not come on until some ridiculous temperature, like 215*. Heat soak is rampant at those conditions and any repetitive runs will show it dramatically.

The mod basically bypasses the VCRM control feeding direct battery voltage to the fan to run at 100% for quick cool down times after a run down the track. Switch the relay off and the fan control is handed back to the VCRM just like stock for normal driving.

Consistency is where it proves itself. Originally, I would switch it on when approaching the burnout box and leave it on through the return trip to the staging lanes, pop the hood and leave the fan run until I felt the air from the fan was cool or until the temp gauge was at the bottom of 'normal'.

Later I added a digital programmable controller to the bypass circuit. This eliminated the manual switching off/on of the fan bypass. Now I switch the bypass on and the digital controller takes care of the rest automatically. With a 160* T-stat, I have the controller programmed to turn on at 180* and off at 165*. At the end of the day at the track, I switch control back to the VCRM.

One caveat... the 40A cube relay has been replaced once and evidently the extra service took a toll on my stock fan motor. If you remember back at SSHS my fan wasn't working reliably. I have since replaced the motor(easy job) and I hope to rig up an industrial strength relay to replace the cube type.

Wow, thanks for the tip. :eek: Something i may look into next go around. Sounds like it was definately worth the effort. I never though of that before, but youre right about the fan not kickin on till AC is operative (which is never at the track) or really high temps.

hmmmmm Lemmie go digging though my electronics catalogs and see if i can find us a reliable high amp relay for that. I believe you can set the low and high temp kick on and off temps right into the SCT chip.

But like you said, I want fan to run Full speed for the pits for cooldown with the switch on, not at half speed held back by the VCRM, so bypassing is the way to go it seems. :)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Ken, put some pics of the Bronco up so others can see what your workin on.
[/div]

ask and ye shall recieve. This is an old pic but you get the idea. Also what kind of fan controller odo you guys reccomend?

Bronco008.jpg

If one of you electronics guru's were to put a packadge together I would be interested in buying it, as I am over my head on the electronics stuff. Better cooling capabilities is always a plus for our cars.

Back