power steering not working

Greenemachine

Registered
ever since I took my car out in the snow last night my steering is going bad. sometimes it works and steers fine, the next second its like I lose all power steering. fluid is full. no leaks as of yet. nothing seems to be bent? what are the odds its just the pump? how would I test to see if its the pump or something more serious? thanks. it justs eems there is 1 problem after the next with this car.

not sure if this is the right place for this. in the other fourm it went in ths suspension.

RE: power steering not working

When you say you loose power, do you mean when you go to turn a corner it stiffens up? I had something like that happen to me before on a different car, the power steering fluid hose would collapse and I would lose power. Not sure if that is you problem though. I wonder if you belt got wet and maybe it is slipping? Also the car has power speed sensitive steering, so that may need to be looked at.

when I say loose power I mean it seems fine but the wheel stifens up and its so hard to turn. when I go slow around turns it doesn't work and I gotta turn the car manually. last night I was kinda doing dounuts in a parking lot, yea I know what you al will say but it was the last snow storm aI wanted to have fun actually for the first time in the snow, so maybe I had the wheel turned to far in 1 direction and that did something...? I first thought it got all iced up, so I hosed all the snow and ice off( which was alot) and that did nothing.

My wife's Ranger had a similar problem recently. The fix... The belt tensioner. Basically the tensioner lost its ability to keep enough tension on the serpentine belt which drives the power steering pump.

Might be worth a try. Have someone manualy place more tension on the belt and someone else turn the steering wheel. Be careful! Or take it to a someone more qualified to make the assessment.

I thought the problem would be the pump or steering rack.
Fortunately, it was an inexpensive fix.

everything else works fine. if it was the tension wouldn't the other accesories be affected? its only the steering. I know I damaged something.

Could be. In the case I related to you, there were no other problems. Charging system was ok. Water pump was fine. Only the power steering was affected - intermittently.

Sure hope you find it.

When you were doing donuts, did you keep the steering wheel on the lock? If so, I've heard of people breaking their power steering pump that way. Keeping it slammed up against the lock stresses the pump and can overheat the fluid. I'd first check the fluid level and bleed the system.

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1987 Mustang GT - Oxford White hatchback

So much for the ez quik fix. The problem has come and gone again a few times. I am wondering if changing the fluid would help...

So much for the ez quik fix. The problem has come and gone again a few times. I am wondering if changing the fluid would help...

I dought it! Whats wrong with your car is a hard part. Probably the control valve in the rack & pinion. The damage has been done. The only way I see it being fixed is to spend some cash and get on your back for a few hours on the weekend. Good Luck.

I just had my whole rack and pump changed... they both were shot. cost me 500 p+l. car feels like a new car again. only thing I need now is an allignment and I'm good to go

Back