Sensor Mod.....

94Panther

Registered
Just recently lowered the mark via the height sensors.It`s straight forward if you take take your time and use a bit of common sense. a dremel would help as well.total time is about an hour for both sides.only because i removed the wheels for the sake of comfort.It changed the ride quite a bit as well,it`s much tighter and more responsive. there`s no doubt in my mind.....Lower is definitely better

RE: Sensor Mod.....

I've honestly forgotten...

The front sensors need to be shorter and the back need to be longer to lower the car - or is it the other way around.

just a question for you guys, i hear that sensor lowering the car can exaggerate weakness in the air ride system, the air bags in particular. i would love to do this to my car but am worried about the air ride. is there a way to check the bags etc before i do the mod? also, is it a pain in the neck to change back? still got an extended warranty and might have to go back to stock height if i need to.

nope, easy to return to stock, just Mark where the Stock Bolt was in the rear. you will already have the factory hole that used to hold the bracket in the front, just switch it back.

just a question for you guys, i hear that sensor lowering the car can exaggerate weakness in the air ride system, the air bags in particular. i would love to do this to my car but am worried about the air ride. is there a way to check the bags etc before i do the mod? also, is it a pain in the neck to change back? still got an extended warranty and might have to go back to stock height if i need to.

Not sure where you heard about exaggerating a weakness. Don't worry about the air ride. Many have done this with no problem. I suppose its possible that if you have a leak currently, making the car ride at a different height could magnify the problem by changing the location of the leak in relation to the bag fold. Typically though if there is a small hole, lowering will put the hole on the inside of the bag fold against the strut tower helping to slow the leak.

Does anyone have a picture of the front sensor and what you do to lower it. I saw the rear sensor but it seems to be a little of a project to make another hole. Is it as tough as it looks?

This page has pictures:

http://www.lincolnmarkviii.org/suspension/sensorlowering.htm

All you have to do is remove the screws holding the bracket, lift the bracket up util the sensor compresses completely, then drill your hole. Make sure you drill the hole at the same "lattitude" as the hole in the vehicle where the bracket attaches. This way, you use the stock mounting hole to fasten the bracket to the car (now sitting about and inch higher).In reality, that's all I did. I used the "eyeball caliper" if you will.

There seems to be many variations on this theme. Some prefer to use a dremel to lengthen the stock slot, others have added a piece to extend the sensor mount. IMHO, a hole (or two) drilled in the bracket is the easiest, most reliable method of lowering via the sensors.

The discalimer about causing problems is there for the sake of caution. If you do develop problems from doing this, you are simply exposing a problem that already existed.

Kale

Is there someone in the Central Jersey area that would be able to give me a hand doing this? Even after 16 years in the 12 volt industry, I dont trust myself on things like suspension,brakes,etc.

I do not expect this to be a free thing, so yes I am more than willing to pay, and/or help other members do things electrical/accesory related (alarm,remote start,stereo,tvs,etc)

Thanks in Advance

--Don

If your ever down here in Florida, you know who to come too :)
I would been glad to help you in exchange for a 40min convo with another Mark Owner, sadly your very far away.

If your ever down here in Florida, you know who to come too :)
I would been glad to help you in exchange for a 40min convo with another Mark Owner, sadly your very far away.

Wow, I could definately use a vacation too. LoL :7

--Don

Is there someone in the Central Jersey area that would be able to give me a hand doing this? Even after 16 years in the 12 volt industry, I dont trust myself on things like suspension,brakes,etc.

I do not expect this to be a free thing, so yes I am more than willing to pay, and/or help other members do things electrical/accesory related (alarm,remote start,stereo,tvs,etc)

Thanks in Advance

--Don

I never did this on a 1st gen Mark, but I can give you a hand with this. Maybe sometime next month if you want.

I never did this on a 1st gen Mark, but I can give you a hand with this. Maybe sometime next month if you want.

Sounds good to me, the sooner the better. BTW, where are you located?

--Don

Don, I work in Piscataway right by you according to your profile, but right now I am busy with college, I attend at night an I will be graduating in a few weeks. After that I will have time to stop by and lend you a hand.

I read Kale's terrific notes on lowering. I guessed that when the car is lowered beyond stock that the creases already in the airbags are going to be exagerated, making the hard rubber on old bags perhaps crack and leak prematurely. I wonder if that's the issue.

Also, when I was a kid, we always wanted the rear of the car HIGHER than the front, and I still do. (Rational: You are always going downhill that way) :) For some reason, when fully vented, this car is the opposite. It doesn't make any aerodynamic sense to me but then again I'm no rocket scientist. I think Kale's mods will make it look like I want but think I'll wait until I need new bags before changing it. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yea, also when I was a kid, I had to walk 10 miles to get to school in the snow, uphill in both directions.

Don, I work in Piscataway right by you according to your profile, but right now I am busy with college, I attend at night an I will be graduating in a few weeks. After that I will have time to stop by and lend you a hand.

Definately appreciated. I understand the wait. And yes I am probably about 10 mins away from where you work. So, if even a weekend is possible, let me know. I just get to anxious when I want something done. =)

--Don

Oh yea, also when I was a kid, I had to walk 10 miles to get to school in the snow, uphill in both directions.

Here we go again.... you weren’t in the 1500's so don’t try to pass that on us.... old people always make a legend of themselves when they were even worse then what we did as kids :7
Just joking.

Back