Two sets of height sensors?

Dr Dave

Registered
Has anyone ever tried to install a second set of height sensors with switching at the driver's seat so that the VIII could ride low most of the time and higher when needed for speed bumps, etc? I know that the range of the height sensors would come into play if they were pushed to the physical limits, but if that wasn't exceeded, I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

RE: Two sets of height sensors?

I have pondered this idea myself. It appears only 1 wire of the 3 going to each sensor would have to be switched which is the sensor output to the suspension module. The other 2 are ground and power which is common between all sensors. This means only one 3 pole double throw switch could be used to switch back and forth. This is assuming the additional load of the 3 secondary sensors would not cause a problem for the module.

Of course mounting and wiring the sensors would probably be as much work or more than Kales mod which gives more flexibility.
To simplify it, the sensors could be mounted in the trunk or other accessible area to obtain an easily adjustable or low fixed height for car shows, parked, etc.
Driving the car with the "fixed" height would likely trigger a check air ride message unless you shut the air ride switch off first.

RE: Two sets of height sensors?

I do think a dual sensor set-up would work, but would not give you enough travel to be useful. You have mechanical limits of the suspension that cannot be maximized electronically. You would simply he able to go as low as a senosr lowered car, and as high as a sensor raised car.

No really low setting, no "off-road" setting. It would be useful to raise a car that is sensor lowered to get over hills and obstacles, but would be more work than it would be worth IMHO. This is the only problem with sensor lowering your Mark, the inability to raise it back up by flipping a switch.

Kale

Back