What to do when the car's been raised without....

GR8VIII

Registered
turning off the suspension switch? I just realized the brake guy has my car on the lift with the switch ON. Damn!! I knew this was going to happen. Which is true under these circumstance:

1. Forget about it. Once it's raised, any potential damage has already been done.
2. If it's been raised for less than an hour, lower it to the ground, turn OFF the switch and relift.
3. It doesn't matter how long it's been up....lower it immediately, turn off the switch and resume work.

I'm not sure I have the mental capacity to own this auto!

RE: What to do when the car's been raised without....

Don't worry about it. Just make sure it picks itself back up before he tries to drive it off the lift (might not be clearance otherwise).

No damage will be done, but the car will be slammed all the way when it comes down. Just start the car, close the door, and let it lift itself up. If you get an error, do it again. The only real risk is if you have an old compressor and it gets overwhelmed by having to pick the car up off the ground, or if you have a pre-existing leak in a bag that is somehow made worse (and i don't really see how that could happen).

It's no big deal, it's just a bit more of a pain when you're done with the job.

Like he said - no worry. While servicing mine with a floor jack once, I forgot to turn off the air ride switch. I didn't realize it until I lowered it, and I couldn't retrieve the jack. I had to start it up and let it raise off the jack. :(

Ken Hepting

What do you do when the rear won't come down?

I put gen 2's on the front.(93) Followed the instructions only to have the rear up in the air when the switch was turned back on. Any ideas before I start pokin around? Compressor never comes on any more so the rears aren't leaking in anyway.. Perhaps if I manually deflate the things with the pump off and then turn it back on? Thanks..

93 & 95 MK8

If you haven't done it yet, you might stop the car at ride height and use the lift to hold it up there till the bags fill - it will take some of the load off the compressor having to "lift" the car to height.

Scott

Back