Looking into a '93 Mk VIII, down in the front?

Faust

Registered
A local dealer has a '93 with 110K. It is down in the front. Throwing the switch in the trunk doesn't seem to effect it. I don't hear any unusual noises. How bad can it be? Has anyone tried the coil spring conversion?

RE: Looking into a '93 Mk VIII, down in the front?

the struts are pretty expensive to replace if you do it yourself its somewhat alright i think you should check out arnott industries for replacement bags. And that mark in perfect condition is worth 5k or so. With broken bags the compressor might have been fryed as well. Throw the switch and start the car see if it pumps it back up. Well anyways if the struts and the compressor are gone i wouldn't give more than 3500$ for the car.

"the struts are pretty expensive to replace if you do it yourself its somewhat alright i think you should check out arnott industries for replacement bags. And that mark in perfect condition is worth 5k or so. With broken bags the compressor might have been fryed as well. Throw the switch and start the car see if it pumps it back up. Well anyways if the struts and the compressor are gone i wouldn't give more than 3500$ for the car."

The car is $1500.00 so I am willing to look into it. I did a search on struts and found them for $249.00. I notice there is a kit to replace all the bags for about $400.00. That sounds like a beter idea.
I tried the switch in both positions, nothing. Unless it is a very quiet compressor, I didn't hear it.

You can use 2nd generation struts (97/98) on your 93Mark or is it the dealers Mark?. They will fit and cost about $220 each from FPN and are OEM.

Also, it sounds like you will need a new/remanufacturer compressor. I would suggest you check out Eddie Spinks at www.americanairsuspension.com for Reman or New Compressors, Struts, Parts & Supplies 904-237-0775. He is the guru for Mark VIII suspension.

Good luck

The car isn't mine yet, so I have been thinking instead of tinkering.
If it is down in the front and the compressor isn't working, could it be just the compressor? Or, would it be down all around?
I am still thinking about the coil spring kits, anything wrong with them?

If the front end is slammed, then the front air bags are shot. They should be able to hold air for a while. And when you have leaky bags, the compressor is probably dead or on the way out. It's had to compensate for leaky bags for who knows how long, so it's surely been overworked. When/if the compressor runs, you'll be able to hear it if you listen for it, and you can watch as the car raises up.

Personally, I'd repair the air ride instead of swapping to coil springs. I don't know exact cost figures, but I don't think you save all that much with coil springs. When repaired correctly, the air ride system will last for a long time. And I think the air ride is just a cool feature that helps make the Mark VIII what it is. Just my opinion :)

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 - Scarlet Red coupe

snip
And I think the air ride is just a cool feature that helps make the Mark VIII what it is. Just my opinion
unsnip

Let's not candy-coat this. Here is is, point blank - if you want coil springs instead of the air suspension, buy a T-Bird. If you want the Mark to perform like it was designed, cough up 6-700 for the two front parts and a compressor and bring it back to its glory.

Besides - $1500 for that car is a STEAL if that's all that's wrong with it. Even if you had to replace rear bags too you're still only looking at around a grand.

And that's MY opinion. The only people I know who would disagree are the one-post-wonders that go in the suspension forum and talk-up coil spring conversion kits.

Negotiate with the dealer. Maybe you can come to an agreement with the dealer fixing the suspension before you buy it. Not as much fun if you have to break out the tools as soon as you get the car home.

Negotiate with the dealer. Maybe you can come to an agreement with the dealer fixing the suspension before you buy it. Not as much fun if you have to break out the tools as soon as you get the car home.

I agree with Art. Remind them of the cost of parts and labor to repair the car and maybe they'll come off the price. Don't expect them to deduct the whole price, but they might come off a little.

I did this with a friend of mine and HE GOT A STEAL OF A DEAL.

Back