I turn the wheel all the way and BANG

Mycophiles

Registered
This problem has been happening since I got the my mark. Its a 93 with 150000 miles. I've replaced the upper control arms on both sides and a swar bar link on the left side. The tie rod on the right is slightly bent and the one on the left needs replacing which I should get from max any time now. I'm suspecing its the right side tie rod but I'm not sure. Could someone clear this up?

BTW what happens is when I turn the wheel all the way to the left I hear a metal on metal bang. Like for example pulling out of my driveway. If I turn the wheel ALL THE WAY then I hear a bang.

RE: I turn the wheel all the way and BANG

Yes, I want to go to Ford and do a presentation on these great new things called grease fittings. There are a couple on the Mark but there should be a few more IMO.

But you are right, the balljoints are installed in the upper and lower control arms. My Dad's Grand Marquis is making a similar noise (just out of warranty.) Worn tie rod end or balljoint I suppose.

-Joel.

RE: I turn the wheel all the way and BANG

Yea, mine does that too, especially when changing directions (yes, I do back up occasionally) which, in my case, usually means the wheels are being turned to the extreme in both directions. I mentioned it to a local whiz mechanic who said, "It's nothing...even brand new cars do that." Go figure.

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

Back