2003 Cobra IRS in a Mark VIII?

TM

Registered
There are a couple of local guys that are converting their '03 Cobras over to solid axle, and they're selling the complete IRS rear-end setup. I doubt I'll be buying, but it got me thinking. Does anyone know how much of the Cobra IRS will bolt in to a Mark (how hard of a swap)?

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 - Scarlet Red coupe

RE: 2003 Cobra IRS in a Mark VIII?

The '03 IRS isn't the same as the '99 IRS. The '03 has more splines (sorry, I forget the count) and stronger half-shafts (IIRC the '03 Cobra IRS is the same as or at least more similar to the '00 Cobra R IRS). Plus it has a 3.55 Traction-Lok rear-end.

If most of it bolts right in to a Mark, then I think this could be a nice swap.

it probably has 31 spline axles...

if the half shafts are the same length, why not just take the half shafts and diff and drop that into the mark 8. is the diff in the 03 cobra aluminum?

I checked last night, the '03 Cobra has 31 splines.

Good point about swapping just the axles and diff, I'll have to look into how long the Cobra half shafts are. Not sure if the diff is aluminum or not.

the differential is alum, and the 03 does have beefier half shafts, than any other ford pre 03. I am pretty sure the halfshafts are not the same legnth thouighy, which means they are worthless to you.

Are you mocking me John?

We’ll I believe you, Joe. You’ve kind of become the Kelly Johnson of the Mark VIII world lately with your innovative ideas and willingness to “push the envelope” in attaining more horsepower.

For those of you unfamiliar with Kelly Johnson, he was the famous Lockheed engineer and designer who came up many of the state of the art aircraft that the Lockheed “Skunkworks” produced over the years like the U-2 and SR-71 Blackbird to name a few.
http://salfter.dyndns.org/graphics/tattoo/sr71-3.jpg
The 2,000 mph + SR-71 Blackbird

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING...

Joe, absolutely not. I do not claim to know 1/1000th of what you know about these cars. In fact, I was trying to give you some props in a tongue in cheek sort of way. Joe, I think you lost your sense of humor somewhere down the road...=) Damn, I am kidding again! =) Joe, I actually found the thread interesting, and I found what you had to say even more interesting. Mi Amigo? Que Pasa? What happened? =D

just checkin brotha... I was not sure what you meant. You pick out a good spot to party next Saturday?? Someone needs to do some research on hot spots there in harrisburg. Maybe we can get more than 5 people to hit the twon this time, and maybe half of them will not get mad and go home before we get there again..

He He don't worry, I don't intend on bringing any crazy chics with their huge 4x5 inch pocket books this year. I hope we actually make it out this year. I've already told Ray I wanted to give him a hand, to the best of my ability, with the countless things he's promised people this year. Also, I suspect I'll spend most of my time 'peeling' BadSax off the grass. :)
http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00E/10/B2/BE/92/5K1NnmkK7UVBb0BSrmZzOvj4-a0F7Kjd0060.jpg

Back