Rear shocks

LeoC2

Registered
Rotated Moose's tires today and noticed the rubber bushing on a rear shock is not going to last much longer. I'm open to suggestions as to what are the best shocks to put back there. I don't want to harden the ride.

RE: Rear shocks

Hey Leo!

I dont know how urgent your project is, but I am replacing my shocks most likely next week. I was looking into the cobra shocks, but I really dont want to risk loosing the smooth ride of the car, so most likely I will go with a Monroe shock, either their SensaTrac, which is more or less their standard model, or more likely, their MonroeMatic Plus, which is a gas filled shock with some valve improvements over stock.

Once I am done with it, I will post in this forum with the results.

Have a good day,
Marcus.

If you're happy with the ride now (or as it was new) just put the OEM ones back on there.

The cobra ones will make the ride more firm. You may not like it. Maybe try and find someone who has a cobra fitted mark and give it a spin.

Scott

I have to do this too because my ride is TERRIBLE now. Whenever I hit a good sized bump, or drive on a rough road, I get a clunk in the pass side rear. The bushing must be totally shot or the shock seized.

I called Schucks and they have replacements for $20, and cheapo replacements (if $20 wasn't cheap enough) for $10. I think I'm going to pull the shocks out and try to get something a little shorter and softer. I want the ride to be nice when lowered. If I can't find anything, I'll just go with the OEM units.

Do the T-Bird shocks work on our cars???

Kale

The tbird shocks should, I am pretty sure thats what those monroes are (from my own research a while back) though they are probably not valved very well for the heavier car. That might provide the softer ride you want...

Scott

Okay, I got em out w/o a hitch, and compared the stock unit to the Schucks specials. They were $12.99. They did not have the upper mount included, but it did look like you could rig something up with the existing mounting plate and the supplied bushings. I didn't feel like messing around with it so I called the local dealer and the upper mounting kit is $45.18, while FPN wants $28.99. So $26 for the shocks and $90 for the mounts! Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I decided to check on direct replacement parts since I should get the upper kit included with the rear shocks. The local dealer wanted $127 for brand new 93-94 shocks, $105 for the 97-98 units. FPN is asking $70, which ends up costing around $40 for the shock, $30 for the mount. Still not exactly logical, but not bad at all.

I also called Eddie and I am waiting to hear back from him. I'm assuming he'll be in the ballpark of FPN if he has these parts available.

Kale

Well I never heard back from Eddie. Emailed him and called him but still no reply.

The lower mounting hole where the bolt goes through on the Schucks specials is too small and they will not work. None of the shocks that were supposed to fit a Mark would work.

What's funny is that w/o the shocks in the car, it actually rides BETTER! It is a little bouncy of course, but not half as bad as I thought it would be. I drove to the parts store and back a couple of times and didn't have to hear that loud thunk in the rear. Dropped her down w/o the shocks and it lays the entire back half of the exhaust system on the ground. It looks absolutely sick!

http://www.mark8.org/kale/images/rear_tire_noshocks.jpg

Kale

Kale, I just went down this same road, looking for aftermarket shocks to fit the Mark with no mods needed, didn't happen.Come to find out the shocks were okay but the mounts were shot.
Replaced them and that clunking noise went away, thank you!
I've decided to go OEM (gen 1) when I do get shocks and sacrifice on the price for ease of installation and the factory dampening.

Damn.... That does look sic!

I seem to remember Cecil saying he went with some monroes from a Tbird and had to drill something out - thats probably that bottom hole.

Scott

Guys, along with Marcus I've been following this one closely. From what I've heard, and some of the research I've done, It looks like OEM is definately the way to go. That way there is no modifying, rigging, or bubble gum involved..;) Plus, there's no "guesstimating," because you'll have your nice sofa couch stock ride back..I used to complain my car "floated" too much. Well I have to say I want to float again!!! That damn clunking has got to go. There are three shocks listed on Ford Parts Network. The 93-94 ones had some type of funky electronic dampening nonsense that is not necessary if you have a 95+ Then there is the 95-96 listed. Finally, the 2nd gen, 97-98, are listed. They are progressively cheaper, yet only about $10 seperates the three- with the 2 gens being the most affordable, while providing the softest ride. Hope this helps.
http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/004/15/EE/FC/D0/hypvdpdlJNSn5wxTWVOHBYm5Jh5VLPTC0060.jpg
PS- I thought $70. for shocks and mounts was pretty affordable.

I put the 03 Cobra shocks in back and must say it was a pain in the but to modify them to fit. They do ride very nice though, not as harsh as I expected, just a bit firmer than OEM (I guess the extra Lincoln weight calms them down a bit)

SMOOTH8 I was getting the klunk and checked for shocks etc. and found a broken sway bar, take a close look

Back