Check Air Suspension - another variation?

Chad

Registered
It's a 1993 Mark VIII with 90K miles.

This might be the same problem someone else has had but I couldn't locate a similar topic so here goes.

When I start the car, the compressor runs. Sometimes I can see it lift the car, sometimes it lifts the car then drops it a little bit, sometimes I can't really tell it does anything.

When I drive the car under 65 everything seems OK. Occasionally the Check light will come on.

When I drive it above 65, sometimes the check light will come on.- Not always.

When I drop the car from over 65 to 50 or so, eventually the check light will come on, but again, not always.

It's strange and I just can't get a consistant result from it. I can hear what I think might be a HISSing leak from the pass front shock when it's pumping them up while the compressor is running. Is this the vent or is it actually the shock? This is when the car has just been started.

Also, each morning my car is slammed to the ground.

IF it's a hole in the shock, can I replace just one? Should I replace both front or do I need to replace the front air shocks and the rear air bags?
Do I need to replace the rear shocks as well (not the bags)?

/sigh

RE: Check Air Suspension - another variation?

You have a heavy leak somehwere, if it drops the car overnight. the other facts are interesting but thsi is the key piece of data ;)

Very soon your battery will be toast, and your compressor, as they try to compensate for that leak.

You can use a soapy water spray to try to find the leak in your bags. When you hear the hissing, spray soapy water all over your airbag and if you see bubbles, there ya go! Sometimes the leak is under the fold and only appear under certain inflate levels... so it might be harder to find. it might be on the back where you can't see it, or something like that too.

The vent will hiss when you park the car and close the doors. it shouldn't be hissing while it is filling.

I think you should change the bags in pairs, new bag vs old bag might provide inconsistant stability on left vs right side, that might not be a problem under normal driving but it isn't optimal either ;)

Call Eddie Spinks at American Air Suspension (somethign like that...sorry Eddie) he's a vendor and member of LOD, his info should be easy to fidn here or if you really have to, cehck markviii.org iknow it is there from way back... look for BLUECOLLAR that's his handle. Best prices and service...

David

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black

Back