Up and down and up and down...

Taeberius

Registered
Alright, so driving the car home from my dealership, I started to think there was something wrong with it. At some stops there would be a groaning sound coming from the front. After about the third time I finally came to my senses and realized it was the air suspension. I had forgotten that it lowers the car at higher speeds. So then I thought mmmm... nicceeeee...

Then for the 20th time it happened. This is when I realized I'd have to listen to this everytime I go from a high speed to a stop, as is the style of traffic in my area. I don't know how loud everyone elses' suspension sounds, but i'm not a big fan of this right now.

Is there a way to dissable the lowering at higher speeds? Is there a way to stop it from going back up at every light?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
~Kevin

86' TBird w/214K (Original Tranny!)
95' Mark VIII w/60k (Profile=Mods)

RE: Up and down and up and down...

Number one is don't drive 65 in a 35!

Easiest thing to do is turn off the air ride switch. You can wire one into the cab if you like to make access easier.

Of course you can do lots of other things to accomplish the same goal, but turning off the switch would be the easiest solution. If the "air ride off" message bothers you and you're too lazy to hit reset, you can fix that as well by using a relay that cuts the message center lead when you activate the switch. Now it's getting a little more complicated...

Kale

I wired another toggle switch in series with the trunk air ride switch just as Kale indicated and put it under the dash. I did it to reduce wear and tear on the compressor because my commute to work, like yours, involves many speed up and slow down cycles. Staying within the speed limit surely helps too. A speeding ticket is the best incentive for that.
I can hear my compressor if the radio is low. Mid to high volume and it drowns out the compressor. Now that you're listening for it you'll hear it all the time. You'll learn to ignore it. Actually I don't mind hearing mine because I know its working properly. New compressors are quieter but that doesn't mean yours needs replaced if its a little noisy. Mine has been a litte noisy for 3 years and never got worse.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/users/sleeper/solenoid_mod_1.3.jpg

You can ignore most of that schematic for what you want to do, but see the left side, where it's cutting pins 11 and 12, and wiring a swich inline? If you wire that switch in to the harness right where it comes from the air suspension computer, you can kill the air suspension and all message center warnings about the suspension.

[/quote]
. Actually I don't mind hearing mine because I know its working properly. New compressors are quieter but that doesn't mean yours needs replaced if its a little noisy. Mine has been a litte noisy for 3 years and never got worse.

[/quote]

Maybe its the mounts that have deteriorated. When I took out the silencer I checked out my compressor and it seemed to be loosely seated. The grommets looked a little dry rotted.The compressor is noisy but the bags pump up in about 20 seconds. It seemed to quiet a little after tweaking it around checking things out.

Back