Advice for Running at the Track?

KStromberg

VIII looking for 8s
Well, we have a camera man and several guys that wanna run on test/tune day at Rock Falls on October 9 so the date is set! Ok, so I am thinking I will start the Mickeys at 26 psi and possibly work down in small increments. I need to find the sweet spot for flashing the 3800 stall which I may test out in a few days at an undisclosed location. I'm ditching the spare tire, jack, and maybe even the rubber floor mats. I'll probably remove the passenger side headlight considering the air box has been drilled. Can anyone think of anything else or give me any advice before or while I am sitting at the tree?

I am going to be very honest with ya. I will not be happy with 14s.:)

I start at 16 psi with et street dr's. Every 100 pounds removed is good for a tenth. Don't wait for the green light - launch off idle when you see the last yellow light up on the tree. Have fun! :)

I start at 16 psi with et street dr's. Every 100 pounds removed is good for a tenth. Don't wait for the green light - launch off idle when you see the last yellow light up on the tree. Have fun! :)

Meaning you start at 16 psi and work your way up? When you say launch off idle, no "flashing" of the converter:confused: I have a 3800 stall and would imagine dropping the psi on the tires way down and finding that spot where the tires almost wanna break lose and launching it from that rpm would be they way to go, but I am a noob at the track so any further advice or clarification would be appreciated. :)

26 psi will be way too much. Start about 20 psi or so and lower from there in 1 psi increments monitoring traction, 60 foot time and tire patch. You likely won't have a traction issue if the track is prepped. If your sixty foot time drops, lower it another psi. If you sixty foot does not improve, hold what you have. Look for the edge of the burnout patch on the tire. You want it to be as wide as possible. Too much tire pressure will have a narrower tire patch.

For consistency, launch off idle. It is very difficult to launch consistently when stalling the converter. It takes lots and lots of practice.

The important thing is to do everything as consistent as possible, from the staging lanes to launching at the tree. Do a pre-op check in the lanes; check your tire pressures, minimize idle time (but do not wait until the last second to start the engine), make sure the traction control and OD are switched off, stay in the same lane if possible, roll your windows up when approaching the burnout box, do your burnout at the same rpms and for the same length of time, stage in the beams the same each time and launch the same at the tree.

Unlpug your AC compressor and use the Max AC to turn the cooling fan on high to keep away heat soak if you are hot-lapping.

Record notes on your timeslips, noting tire pressures and any other pertinent data.

Ignore your opponent and concentrate on your technique and your car.

Most of all, have fun! :D

Very well put driller! Thank you!! :D One more question. Turn off the air suspension or not?

Last edited:
Meaning you start at 16 psi and work your way up? When you say launch off idle, no "flashing" of the converter:confused: I have a 3800 stall and would imagine dropping the psi on the tires way down and finding that spot where the tires almost wanna break lose and launching it from that rpm would be they way to go, but I am a noob at the track so any further advice or clarification would be appreciated. :)

I work down from 16psi, and usually end up running 15psi. I get chatter (wheel hop) going lower than 15psi with the 18" wheels. What JP said is good advise. The 60' does not lie. I am at low 1.8's 60's when they hook, launching off idle, and I have a 3600 stall tc. So, watch those 60's... :) I experimented foot brake stalling the tc, and my car did not respond to it well. I would suggest a MSD 2-step launch controller if you are determined to launch hard off the line. Most of the high dollar serious mod motor fat cars with slicks eventually go to this device with great results, once they dial it in.

I would suggest a MSD 2-step launch controller if you are determined to launch hard off the line. Most of the high dollar serious mod motor fat cars with slicks eventually go to this device with great results, once they dial it in.

That's an OBD2 only mod from what I understand. Us poor Gen1s just have to footbrake it.

And I still get a mid 1.8 sixty foot time. :D

Back