Sometimes running rough.

Be2lose

In title only.
It's been doing this for about 4 days now. It feels the same as a cracked boot, but not missing all the time. Much worse after running for about 20-30 miles and under load (up hills, Even small ones) and at idle. When it is idleing rough there is a clicking noise that seems to come from the intake. I have checked for codes- NONE, I checked all the boots and plugs. All look fine except #1 & #3 boots had engine oil on them (?)
Firing Order I think.
4 5
3 6
2 7
1 8
Cleaned the MAF sensor and new air filter

Not sure what else to look at.

Yeah, I typed it backwards. still 1&3 though.
It feels electrical to me. I think a bad coil would through a code.
A freind say it feels like the trans is failing, but it does it in park at idle. is that possible?
Still can't figure it out.

Could be shorting thru the oil to ground..... did ya try soaking up the oil with paper towel or something? Or replace those two boots...boots are cheap enough!

Yes I cleaned it up, it was not full just all over the outside of the boots and alittle at the bottom of the plug seat (I should have described it better before), I does not look like any ever made it inside the boot to short , but I'll replace them anyway (got extras in my shop) I'll take it for a drive and see.
I am more worried that oil was in there. ???

The way you describe (more under load) is a spark issue. Funny no codes, but like Bud said, if its grounding into the oil, it may not "see" the misfire and throw a code. The ticking you are hearing also sounds like the arcing of a broken boot.

Look closely at your coils, sometimes they will develop cracks in the housings and arc to the rocker covers. I bet that's what you're hearing!! Also try running it at night, in the dark...I've seen some crazy stuff doing that. I had one car that had bad wires. I ran it at night and turned off the garage lights, EVERY wire looked like the Enterprise's warp core with the blue circle lights flowing through the wires. FREAKING COOL! :D

I used to have a chevy that ran great on flat land but when you hit the hills, it ran rough. Finally figured out it was the fuel pump. Just .02 more in the pot.

I've found that replacing the wires (or boots?) with new ones helps seal the oil leak.

By the way, that's not the firing order, thats the cylinder numbering.

How old are the plugs? Check engine light?
Recently this happened with my 98 Crown Vic ended up being a bad plug after only 38k miles.

No CE, No Codes. Plugs probably have 30k on them, I guess that is a easy change to find out. They did all look good when pulled them.
I still find it strange it only does it after about 20-30 miles. ???

By the way, that's not the firing order, thats the cylinder numbering.

OK, I know I'm stupid. Thanks BIll. LOL

Max's plug he showed me looked good too but it failed. It's not too uncommon really for a plug to fail and that definitely will NOT throw a code.

The firing order is really a mute point on a gen2, if it's not firing in order, you have some serious issues!! Lol

Back