They broke my car!

zebra

Registered
I took my car in yesterday to a mechanic (who had done a good job on it before) to get new upper and lower ball joints and the sway bar end links installed. When I went to pick it up, they were trying to run codes on the anti-lock brakes as they thought they had messed up the right front sensor. The mechanic admitted to probably messing it up while trying to get it off. I think they were actually running codes on the suspension, (they were hooked up to the test box over the left strut) I showed them the test box on the passenger side that says "brakes" in it, but they were still not successful in getting a code from that either.
It was late so I'm taking the car back today to let them replace the sensor at their expense. (I also printed out a diagram off my Ford CD so they'll know how to do it!)

On the way in this morning, I got the "Check Air Suspension" message on the console. I looked at it after I got to work and it is obvious that they did not remove the lower control arm from the car to remove the lower ball joint, and I'm pretty sure that removing the lower ball joint involves beating it out with a big hammer! I'm afraid they damaged my almost new struts by over-extending them or something in the process of beating out the ball joint! I'm going to bring this to their attention, too, but am starting to get a bad feeling.

My poor car!

Ideas? Input?

We did unhook the battery to clear codes while trying to diagnose the brakes...

RE: They broke my car!

Wow, they actually admitted to breaking it?

Most mechanics will pretend not to know of what’s going on, and play dumb game... and maybe throw the, "these cars have way too many computers" line to get out of it.

Good luck anyhow.

There is no beating involved in removing the ball joint. They use a press, and the likelyhook of damaging the strut is pretty slim. Of course, they could have knocked off the sensor, which would give you the check message too. But that's a simple fix.

Does the ABS work? Are you getting an ABS light on the dash, or did you do a "brake check" after you picked the car up? I'm sure they could have damaged the sensor but i kind of doubt it.

I think the lower ball joints can be removed with the control arm still on the car by using a large "C" press but it is not that much more trouble to just take it off the car. Also it would be a good time to replace the strut rod bushings.

The guy told me he was going to use a hammer, but may have been joking...but he did admit to "probably damaging the sensor" as he said he tried to pry it off.

I had them do upper and lower ball joints and the sway bar links, and they are done with all that. I asked them beforehand about anything else, and they didn't mention the bushings. There is an improvement in the handling and it no longer makes noise on bumps or gravel.

I just want my brakes, and most importantly the suspension to be right.
My poor car...

The ABS sensor is easy to replace and probably does not cost to much so they should just put a new one on for you as for the suspension they might not have the height sensor snaped back onto the upper control arm correctly or they just got it out of whack and need to adjust it.

RE: They broke my car! Help Bluecollar!

Ok, more info:

I picked up my car and have to bring it back Monday so they can replace the brake sensor. No problem. While there I turned off the air ride, and turned it on several times in attempting to diagnose it. When I left the shop I had no warning and a system check on the console showed "air ride ok". I drove for a few miles with no problem. Stopped to pick up a couple things and still ok. Then on the way home I hit a bump and the "check air ride" warning came back on. When you start the car the warning comes on immediately, without waiting the 90 seconds for the compressor to fill things. I think this is electrical. The struts look ok, and both ride sensors appear to be attached to the mounting balls. The car's ride height is fine.
I will check in the morning for wiring problems and see if the selonoids look ok. Also if the car settles overnight and if the compressor is coming on.

Ideas? Similar problems after having work done? I don't trust these guys to fix that air ride as I think I know more about it than they do! (That's pretty scary!)
Thanks...

Now MORE info...They finally replaced the anti-skid sensor (that they broke) and I paid the bill for the work. I had upper a-arms, lower ball joints and front sway bar end links replaced. I bought the parts, (OEMs) and they charged me $225.00! Ifeel like I've been mugged! I knew the price would go up when they broke the brake sensor, but figured they'd eat SOME of it. Am I wrong or is that awfully high?

The suspension is still giving me problems: I replaced the relay, which fixed the problem, then I got the warning again, now it has gone away. Strange car.
I love it and don't mind spending some money on it. (Usually) I feel like it is my kid.

I was going to suggest the relay. My 96 acted like what you are describing until I had the relay replaced.

$225 for labor does not sound to bad to me if they did both sides.

I asked Eddie (BLUECOLLAR) about the price I paid and he also said that $225.00 wasn't too high since they also did a four wheel alignment. I'm relieved. (Now I feel bad for doubting them...I'll have to stop by with a box of donuts one morning...) My suspension has decided to toy with me; after acting up onece with the NEW relay, the next time I drove it it was happy. So.... the jury is still out.

I had a nice phone visit with Eddie. (Thanks for the info!) I'm expecting to do some business with him pretty soon.

Toodles for now!
Stephanie

hey , Zebra, just don't deliver those donuts in a "company car", you don't want to encourage unflattering stereotypes 8^D

David

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black
dynoed at 247.5hp / 259.7ft-lb!

Back