Subframe connectors

RE: Subframe connectors

what can u expect to happen after performing this mod? there is no possible way id be able to do this with how low they hang.

Better all around handling.
This was the first set.After looking at them on the car,I think we can tuck them about an inch closer.

Oh, and there will be two prices.One for mild steel,and one for chromoly.

Why did you use round tubing? It flexes in too many different directions. Just curious.

Like was said in an earlier post,my boy that built these got his education from building off road race trucks.I have never seen one of those or a drag car for that matter with anything else But round tube.
The only race cars that I know of that use square tube frames are nascar,but then they use round tube for the cage part.

I would think round tube would be stronger/less flex than square tube pound per pound. In other words 5 lbs. of round tube would be stronger than 5 lbs. of square tube the same length. What do you all think????

All other things equal, ie: material, wall thickness, size, square tubing is stronger in bending than round tubing.

When you try to bend a tube, one side will be in tension and the other in compression. with larger tube, it is stronger because the material is farther from the centerline of the tube. The extra distance in essence gives it more "leverage" to resist the bending. When you change the shape of the tube, this also affects how far from the centerline most of the material is. And in square tubing, more material is farther from the centerline. Therefore, square tubing is stronger than round tubing in bending.

In tension or compression, round tubing should be just as good as square tubing. Round tubing is probably stronger than square tubing in compression at least.

Quote***All other things equal, ie: material, wall thickness, size, square tubing is stronger in bending than round tubing.

Yes I agree with this completely

----But 1"" od square tubing will weigh more than 1" od round tubing of the same wall thickness, length, material, etc. Therfore you might be able to have 1 1/4" round tubing which weighs about the same as 1" square tubing. In such a case the 1 1/4" tubing might be as strong and/or stronger in bending than the 1" square tubing plus quote **** Round tubing is probably stronger than square tubing in compression at least.*****

I don't have any exact numbers to know if 1" of square tubing equals 1 1/4" round tubing in weight or not, or any kind of test data to back up my theroy. It does seem quite possible to me though.

The work on the brace looks nice, clean welds and gussets.

Using your two examples of vehicles I think you'll find that off road vehicle chassis need to have some degree of flex to them. They take a serious pounding and can't afford to be too rigid. The left turn crowd can't afford the flex because their chassis adjustments are more critical due to a much better racing surface hence the use of the stiffer square stock.

Any round tube chassis that need to be made more rigid use additional gussetting and triangulation of the tubes. Top fuel cars use the flexible tubing as part of the suspension.

Perhaps you could try a set of round tubes at an autocross then switch to a set of square tube connectors and note the difference in ride quality and lap times. Bolted on sub frame connectors are easy enough to install and remove plus you'd be able to advertise the product as tested. Softer ride translates to flexible chassis, firmer ride equates to a stiffer chassis. Testing during competition should provide impartial judges handling the timing tasks as well as a safe course to run. Plus it's a lot of fun testing stuff that works.

I made my subframe connectors out of 1" square tubing. All i Know is any braceing under there is bettern than none.

Round vs. square, the decision is usually determined by what is most important, bending strength at the expense of weight, or weight reduction at the expense of bending strength.

For the same material, thickness and breadth, the square is 70% stronger along the axis but 27% heavier.

For the same material, thickness and breadth, the round is 21% lighter but has only 59% the bending strength.

With minor exception, tensile capacity of the two is equal whereas in compression the round is stronger in longer lengths than the square. Compression of short members however is about equal.

Also, the torsional strength per unit length of the round is greater than the square.

Since structural design usually involves a combination of forces, the most economical shape is usually determined by the prevailing stress; bending, tension, compression or torsion.

To JP and Dave (“driller and Sleeper”)……

THANKS MR. WIZARD ;)…Good explanation of the differences of square vs round. Of course I’ve got to give Joe (“Ponyfreak”) credit on his,” All i Know is any braceing under there is bettern than none”.

note to Joe:
Joe, you’ve got to wash the grease off your fingers before you post. It’s causing your fingers to slip and misspell words again (LOL)…just kidding bro, you know I love ya.

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
2003 Mustang Mach 1 w/5-speed (black and stealthy)
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself....

I'll take less weight over added rigidity. the car seems rigid enough to me, although I'm not a supercharged drag racing car, so that may be why i'm not noticeing the need for added rigidity.

If anyone is interested, I will building a prototype soon with cross bracing between the two sides of the car.They will drastically change the body roll around corners.
Mine will be welded,but the ones for sale will be bolt together for shipping purposes.And then if you wanted you could weld them while on the car.
And if someone wanted square versus round I could do that too.

I'll take less weight over added rigidity. the car seems rigid enough to me, although I'm not a supercharged drag racing car, so that may be why i'm not noticeing the need for added rigidity.

I would guess that my sub-frame connector are less than 30 pounds total. I would doubt that you would even see a difference in 1/4 mile times.

I think the general rule of thumb is for every 100 lbs you lose you gain about 10 hp in the seat of the pants meter.

30lbs = .03 seconds in the 1/4 mile roughly. THis also depends on where the weight was added.

like i said before i like how thos look on the car. they are very similar looking to the ones steeda sells for the mustang and i like how they look as well.

Back