Survival Gadgets?

J

OCCUPY LoD :)
Ok, this is NOT a 2012 disaster conspiracy thread so take is some where else. This is however a disaster preparation gadget thread.

While the AR Drone isn't really disaster gear, it does kinda fall into the cool stuff category. What have you guys purchased in preparation for any type of disaster they may be in the near future?

I'm waiting on my tax return to buy a generator big enough to power my water well and/or house stuff, and a ton of food, water, toiletries, warm weather gear, and maybe some gas storage containers. Also...a two post car lift. Haha

Instead of buying generators and such, just buy a house somewhere mid way across the country, away from any oceans. California will be completely under water! :eek:

I've given this topic some thought in the past, but never really took it seriously enough to get everything together. If I think about it though, I have most of the basics, just not all in one place. I'd need a few minutes to gather the essentials, depending on the event.

3 vehicles, one with four wheel drive. plus a gas can or two for the lawn tractor at any given time.

I do a fair bit of backpacking and camping, so I own several backpacks, tents, and a nice collection of campstoves.

a small stockpile of freeze-dried meals. (maybe a week or two, if I really stretch things

an MSR water filter. Most of this is kept together, purely for convenience.

various tools, hatchets, axes, saws, etc.

I do have a small solar rig capable of charging a cell phone, but for power, that's really about it.

And mostly for conversation, I bought a Russian dosimeter (geiger-counter) off Ebay a few years back. It works great. :)

I have an amateur radio license, and a 2-meter radio, but I rarely use it.

So if I want to take this seriously, I'd say my weaknesses would be the following:
no generator, no firearms, and no "bailout bag."

This does remind me about an article I read immediately following the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, that could quite easily apply to you, J.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/03/living-with-the-quake/
The author is a former marketing person for VW. he writes some fascinating articles on the automotive industry, as well.

Here in the Midwest, my biggest threat is a Tornado, which puts me in the basement, initially. Useful, because that's where most of the items above are stored. :)

Last edited:
Instead of buying generators and such, just buy a house somewhere mid way across the country, away from any oceans. California will be completely under water! :eek:

Right... Because that makes so much sense? The fault lines don't go underneath the oceans out there.. they go through the ground. We're not that Tsunami prone. The only stuff we get is from Alaska and Japan, but that has to travel for ages, and last I checked it only damaged some boats.

That said...
Jesse you know I'm preparing also....

One just has to wonder, does one prep for End of World scenario, or a natural disaster?
The prior would require extensive fuel stock ups, amongst with renewable energy self generation etc. The latter would require a few small emergency kits and a few cans.

While the AR Drone isn't really disaster gear, it does kinda fall into the cool stuff category.

Definitely 100% required. Great for reconnaissance. ;) It should be number one on your survival list. That's how I justified it lol

Lol, if someone gets 300 ft (per your estimations of wifi limit) from my house, they're gonna get shot (in a post apacolistic world). So the AR drone seems useless. Given we even have electricity, lol!

There are only 3 things you need... :D

1 tow rope

2 ax

3 sledge hammer

That right there is the all purpose survival kit of champions... :D

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why not get the axe with the maul on the other side, then you only need two things? Lol!

I just looked into a generator, was to pricey. I was getting one hooked up to the natural gas line and auto switched. would run everything except the central AC and electric clothes dryer. If you get a gasoline or diesel one then be prepared to store a lot of gas, like 50 gal and it will go stale even with stabilizers.

For the $8k + that included install, and first time start up by the company so it would be guaranteed I rather just go to 4 star hotel and could replace everything in my refrigerators for several power outages.

Now if you are looking at a huge disaster then I am not sure if the natural gas would continue flow and in all probability you would not be able to get gas at a gas station since they need power and everyone would rush them anyway.

maybe wind and solar with battery storage is better option for a doomsday scenario.

And if i got the jump on you with a gun then all that would become mine :D

I've given this topic some thought in the past, but never really took it seriously enough to get everything together. If I think about it though, I have most of the basics, just not all in one place. I'd need a few minutes to gather the essentials, depending on the event.

3 vehicles, one with four wheel drive. plus a gas can or two for the lawn tractor at any given time.

I do a fair bit of backpacking and camping, so I own several backpacks, tents, and a nice collection of campstoves.

a small stockpile of freeze-dried meals. (maybe a week or two, if I really stretch things

an MSR water filter. Most of this is kept together, purely for convenience.

various tools, hatchets, axes, saws, etc.

I do have a small solar rig capable of charging a cell phone, but for power, that's really about it.

And mostly for conversation, I bought a Russian dosimeter (geiger-counter) off Ebay a few years back. It works great. :)

I have an amateur radio license, and a 2-meter radio, but I rarely use it.

So if I want to take this seriously, I'd say my weaknesses would be the following:
no generator, no firearms, and no "bailout bag."

This does remind me about an article I read immediately following the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, that could quite easily apply to you, J.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/03/living-with-the-quake/
The author is a former marketing person for VW. he writes some fascinating articles on the automotive industry, as well.

Here in the Midwest, my biggest threat is a Tornado, which puts me in the basement, initially. Useful, because that's where most of the items above are stored. :)

right :) but we're friends, so instead, I'd just let you use my stuff, and you and your gun are our protection.

.. I'm not looking forward to all of those New Jersey Zombies though... You might have to come this way.

Well i don't have a gun, NJ has strict gun laws. But i have a knife, bat, ax, hockey stick, shovel and other stuff. ;)

Anyway an old twilight zone showed how neighbors tuned on each other when one of them had a bomb shelter (cold war back then) and there was a false alarm or something. So the one prepared guy shut the others out since he could not sustain all of them. So his neighbors broke in.

right :) but we're friends, so instead, I'd just let you use my stuff, and you and your gun are our protection.

.. I'm not looking forward to all of those New Jersey Zombies though... You might have to come this way.

... and I'm sure that probably would be the reality.

I might have to re-think this strategy a bit.

Well, ok. he's probably right in that regard. Still, he's got nothin' on Les Stroud.

in other news, radiation levels seem to still be normal in Minnesota. :)

There are a TON of people out there just stocking up on guns....so they can just come and take your stuff. That's really how it will be.

Back