AIR LINE REPAIR (check you lines for friction damage)

wm_sorg

Registered
When opening my trunk recently I heard air hissing sounds. i paid no mind to it as I thought there was a gas strut holding the trunk open. Then I noticed two white air lines against the metal cross behand the back of the rear seat. It appears that friction between the metal and air line have cause an air leak. I guess this explains the wagging I was getting over bumps despite new rear shocks and air bags.

What is the best way to repair this line? How difficult is it to replace?

Please check your lines as there is no protection at the point where this line rests against the sharp metal.

BILL

RE: AIR LINE REPAIR (check you lines for friction damage)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into that.

I've seen this on a couple of cars.
The routing of the air lines back there is not good.

That brace also moves around quite abit from what I've seen.

I cant remember who's car.. Might have been tiffs had the X brace completely broken and was banging.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I've seen this on a couple of cars.The routing of the air lines back there is not good.That brace also moves around quite abit from what I've seen.I cant remember who's car.. Might have been tiffs had the X brace completely broken and was banging.
[/div]

Hmmm...maybe thats what I've been hearing. There is a clanging noise whenever I go over bumps, but I didn't get it at all at the Auto-X the other day....hmmm....

Clanging sound is just what hers sounded like.

We pulled the X brace completely out, once it was found to be broken.
Since it such a crappy thin peice of metal.. welding, or repairing didn't seem viable.

the x brace in my '94 had a nice crack in it. I bolted in a metal bar to reinforce it and ground out the cracked area to stop the squeaking.

I wouldn't completely remove the brace, it does add considerable stiffness to the car. If it didn't get stressed, it wouldn't break, therefore i'd make sure to put it back in when it breaks or you'll be stressing other areas.

If you've ever driven one of these cars without a rear windshield installed you'll realize that it doesn't take much to really affect the structure. My '90 thunderbird with a broken rear windshield felt like a convertible whenever i went over bumps, the whole structure shook. New rear windshield, and all was well.

"MAYBE".. {speculative speaking}
That X brace was put in to eliminate the body flex "UNTIL" the rear window was installed on the assembly line?

The reason I say this is Tiff's car without the brace is FAR more solid than my car is.. and mine has never broken nor was removed.

I like your idea for reinforcing the X brace though, that's a great idea!

Back