coil spring conversion how-to

BlackIceLSC

Registered
I installed a different coil spring conversion yesterday. It is called the "Black Ice Special" from Eddie at American air suspension.

If anyone is considering this conversion, now is the time to order. He has FREE SHIPPING during the month of May.

anyway, my point is to let you folks now that I took the time to write a very thorough tech article to help anyone converting their car. Plus, the article can be used for anyone replacing their aging air bags with new ones, as the procedure is almost exactly the same.

Here is a link to the cardomain site I made.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/850999

Hope this helps some of you.

[a
Club 16 President/Founder
94 Black/Black M8
97 Toreador red/Lt. graphite LSC M8
V.P. GGM8​

RE: coil spring conversion how-to

I had no problems with the struts-r-us kit. But I wasnt happy with the over-all ride height.

I contacted Eddie at American Air, and he offered free shipping, and his price was less than that of struts-r-us shipped.

I removed my old ones, they will go on my buddy's car for now...since it is slammed, and awaiting numerous parts, so we can move it around.

Once I installed Eddie's kit, I noticed a DRASTIC improvement in ride quality. Therefore, I am endorsing the new kit, Eddie, and American air suspension.. I know Eddie, I know his reputation as a superior in customer service, and he stands behind EVERYTHING he sells.

If I ever had a warranty problem with my old kit, who knows where I would have been, or how it would have been handled.

basically, why go anywhere BUT Eddie? He has everything we need. air suspension parts, and their alternative...

I know we "convertees" are like the lone wolf when it comes to the norm, but hey...this wolf is houling with happiness. I couldnt be more satisfied.

Thanks for the props on the tech article.

[a
94 Black/Black M8
V.P. GGM8​

I'm curious as to how it actually handles, as I do Auto-x my car. I guess I'm more looking for something with externally adjustable valving for my car though...with hopes to stay with air-ride.

well, apparently you CAN have the best of both worlds. Mad1stgen was toying with gen 2 airbag/shock assemblies. Seems you can remove the inner shock unit, and install something else...this would give you everything you need.

Anyway, as far as handling with the coils, the car responds quicker with steering input, there is less "nose dive" under heavy braking, a ton less bodyroll, but that is due to the larger rear swaybar I implemented into the system.

I would simply say, the car is alot more predictable. That is the best summary I can add. Nothing wrong with air ride handling, but for all-out performance driving, I prefer the coils. Heavier? yes. But they really do respond better during agressive driving maneuvers. If you hit one of those wacky bumps the autocross course workers always seem to make you drive around, your car doesnt get all out of shape...it just sucks it up, and continues with your direction of steer.

[a
94 Black/Black M8
V.P. GGM8​

Has anyone looked at putting a t-bird lowering kit on? I know there are a few places that make them. The only thing I think that would be needed is a pearch for the rear LCA, those are aviliable on the tccoa somwhere, I know some guys overthere convert to mark LCA's because they are aluminum. I would think it would be a direct bolt on......just an idea

The only difference is the front upper shock mounting plate.
The rear is a direct install.

Dollar for Dollar, unless you are buying performance stuff(KYB/EIBACH, etc), it is actually less expensive to use the conversion kits. The modification needed for the front is minor, but takes time.

Oh, and if you put T-Bird stuff on a mark VIII, and encounter a warranty problem, guess what? "Mis-application" = no mo warranty, yo.

Conversion kit suppliers have competed so well on pricing, that they are now in the $400 range...that's a great deal considering they used to run $500+

[a
94 Black/Black M8
V.P. GGM8​

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
well, apparently you CAN have the best of both worlds. Mad1stgen was toying with gen 2 airbag/shock assemblies. Seems you can remove the inner shock unit, and install something else...this would give you everything you need.
[/div]

I've been waiting to see his results for a little while yet. Haven't seen anything on them in a little while.:(

The only difference is the front upper shock mounting plate.The rear is a direct install.Dollar for Dollar, unless you are buying performance stuff(KYB/EIBACH, etc), it is actually less expensive to use the conversion kits. The modification needed for the front is minor, but takes time. Oh, and if you put T-Bird stuff on a mark VIII, and encounter a warranty problem, guess what? "Mis-application" = no mo warranty, yo.Conversion kit suppliers have competed so well on pricing, that they are now in the $400 range...that's a great deal considering they used to run $500+
[a Club 16 President/Founder94 Black/Black M897 Toreador red/Lt. graphite LSC M8V.P. GGM8
[/div]

The adjustable Koni/Eibach kit I did was just over $700. Plus slight modification of a t-bird front shock assembly.​

I installed a coil conversion kit (lowered, 4 wheel) but I'm not happy with the ride in the front...it's like the inserts for the struts are too soft. Is it possible to get different shock inserts, or do I have to RMA the entire strut assemblies?

Thanks.

Craig,
I'm interested to know how your spring conversion is working. I have several 7's and 8's and am in need of switching one of my 7's over. I have a Strutmasters conversion kit on one of the 8's and it works fine. It was $500 installed a few years ago. I am looking at spending ~$250-$300 on the 7 and doing the work myself. The only reason I let them do it is because the cost was the same either way. Please e-mail me at home and work and I'll be in touch. Thanks, Dave.

Home-dodge43@charter.net
Work-dave.bowden@ngc.com

what do you mean ride height, was it to low, to high. hows the new ones as far as height

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]The only difference is the front upper shock mounting plate.The rear is a direct install.Dollar for Dollar, unless you are buying performance stuff(KYB/EIBACH, etc), it is actually less expensive to use the conversion kits. The modification needed for the front is minor, but takes time. Oh, and if you put T-Bird stuff on a mark VIII, and encounter a warranty problem, guess what? "Mis-application" = no mo warranty, yo.Conversion kit suppliers have competed so well on pricing, that they are now in the $400 range...that's a great deal considering they used to run $500+
[a Club 16 President/Founder94 Black/Black M897 Toreador red/Lt. graphite LSC M8V.P. GGM8[/div]The adjustable Koni/Eibach kit I did was just over $700. Plus slight modification of a t-bird front shock assembly.
[/div]

How did this all go together? I would like a more performance oriented suspension myself.​

Back