Cobra convers. + hub replace

JaxFlConnor

Registered
Those of you who went to cobra brakes without changing the bolt pattern up front - what rotor did you use? The stock cobra replacements are ultra cheap but i don't want it warping like the mark brakes did. Which aftermarket rotor do you guys recommend?

Also should i replace the hubs while i'm in there? I'm doing all the front bushings + tie rods + LCA. My car has 90K on it. Is there any way to test the hubs to see if they need replacing?

RE: Cobra convers. + hub replace

from what I have seen, most are going for the Cobra rotors, and shelling out about $50-$60 to have them re-drilled for the Mark VIII bolt pattern.

This opens up a HUGE option of rotors. cross drilled or not...

I saw Max's "big brake" package... re-drilled cross-drilled Cobra rotors...it was simply awesome.

[a
Club 16 President/Founder
94 Black/Black M8
97 Toreador red/Lt. graphite LSC M8
V.P. GGM8​

$50 to drill them ? That's crazy.

All you have to do it slot the holes about 1/8 or so.
The rotors are hubcentric so it doesn't matter if you are exactly on 4.25 circle. Even original rotors have about 1/16 play around the studs.

I have Raybestos rotors on my car. Drilled and slotted, about $50 each from rockauto.

OEM rotors are not bad either, but slotted/drilled looks FAT !!!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
... OEM rotors are not bad either, but slotted/drilled looks FAT !!!
[/div]

Show 'em! ;)

Jeremi: so just slot outwards 1/8" on each hole? It still doesnt sound like something that can be done with a handheld router. I'll see if the university machine shop will let me use thier stuff.

Also did anyone get new/better lines?

Slot them inward. Cobra rotors have 4.5 hole circle, you need 4.25.

I had a buddy of mine do this on a press, with a high speed drill. You could definitely do it with air tools.

Back