Newcomer needs someone to explain suspension bags (97 LSC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhf

Registered
Hello all,

I've had my 97 LSC for almost 10 years now!! Anyway, the front suspension is not holding up overnight. When I back my car out of the garage, it bottoms out. I've read through lots of great posts here and I'm starting to understand that my car must have leaks in the bags.

Can someone give me a quick overview of how this thing is supposed to work (when the bags pump up, when they are supposed to let down) and what are the classic warning signs. I used to hear a loud buzz when I turned off the ignition after arriving home, I guess thats the sound of the bags pumping up?

Is there a good FAQ on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

RE: Newcomer needs someone to explain suspension bags (97 LSC)

the car lowers on the highway and lowers when parked. raises when you slow down or when you get in and start it. it does some other little stuff too but that's the short description.

If it's draining out overnight, it's probably time for new front struts. You can verify this by spraying them with a solution of soapy water and looking for bubbles.

Generally speaking if your car "falls" overnight it means you have leaking bags.

"Almost 10 years" is a long time for the bags. Get yourself some new ones and hopefully they will last for another "almost 10 years." Good luck.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
"Almost 10 years" is a long time for the bags. [/div]

I agree, that is a good example of what to expect with OEM bags.

Also would be a good thing to consider when choosing between OEM bags and cheaper aftermarket bags.

Thanks all! Those sites were especially helpful. Lots more going on then I imagined, now I'm scared sh*tless thinking of all the things that could be wrong!

OK, so basically I a total zip when it comes to working on the car -- I wash it and clean it and that's about the extent of what I can do on the car (I've never even changed the oil myself). So, does anyone know of a solid mechanic in or around Austin, TX to take on this job?

Also, what's the consensus here, should I go with a non-air suspension replacement? I'm not an aggressive driver, mostly to-and-fro work.

Dave, what's a half a LSC? I'm pretty sure I have a whole one.

Marc

Two new front struts are gonna be about $450. That is about how much the whole spring conversion would cost. A conversion is kind of a one shot deal, no more worries about other components. With air, you may have a compressor go out, or rear bags, or a sensor. When springs wear out, they don't drop the car to the ground. Bags last about 10 years. It's just a question of how much you are willing to spend and if the ride on air means that much to you. Personally, I like the air ride, just replaced my rear bags, just received new fronts to install, and have replaced the compressor already, so I am good to go for a while hopefully. The work to replace all this stuff is not too difficult. Just need the tools, and a place to work on it. And some beer.

So, does anyone know of a solid mechanic in or around Austin, TX to take on this job?

[/div]

A guy here in Houston may be able to help you.

He posts on the board under the username nightsky his name is Mike Gilbert.

Depending on what your situation is either you get the car to him, or he MIGHT come to you with the right coaxing.

Recently Tiff and I drove to Waco, to install a chip in a guys car.
We're all pretty much of the attitude of "HAVE MARK? WILL TRAVEL".

Keep us posted in which direction you go with.

Tommy

Also, I have a friend in Austin/Round Rock that works at a Firestone.
He's a great mechanic!

He's one of the few "corporate Mechanics" that I would let touch my car.

He installed the Cobra rear 373 rear end in my car in TWO hours.

He did the entire front end on my car in just under 4 hours, and that was with me "pestering" and talking to him the whole time.

He said he could do it in half the time if I would get out of the way and leave him alone
:eek:

Red Box Rebel ':)

Dear Newcomer:

I just went through 30 days of air suspension hell! First, start with the basics. Everyone assumes that your bags are leaking. They may be right, but they may be wrong.

1. Does your system pump the bags up after turning the key to the run and/or start/run position? If the springs (front and rear) go all the way up, open your trunk and turn the air ride switch off. If the bags hold pressure over night, they do not have any leaks. This will eliminate the bags and O-Rings as the source of the problem.

2. Once you have eliminated the bags and the O-Rings as the problem, the next step is to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)from the memory. Yes, you will need a New Generation Star Testor or an equivalent to pull the codes.

3. I was able to pull codes 60, 90, and 99. I verified the problem codes by errasing the DTCs and duplicating the problem. Code 60 returned. I went through the pin point tests for code 60 and the problem was resolved by replacing the rear ride height sensor.

4. Due to age and mileage, I also replaced the rear bags, rear solenoids, and compressor/dryer assembly. You may want to do the same. However, parts replacement without pulling the DTCs will not pin point your problem.

5. The best air ride/electrical trouble shooter I know is Steve at Champion L/M in the Houston, Texas area. He comes highly reccomended from my buddy who is a Ford Field Tech Engineer who works the Greater Houston area in the Republic of Texas.

6. Whomever you choose, he must have a star testor, a mulit-meter, the '97 or '98 shop manual, and the ability to squeeze into very tight places and the ability to separate stuborn connectors with a vice-like set of hands and fingers.

Red Box Rebel ':) Dear Newcomer: I just went through 30 days of air suspension hell! First, start with the basics. Everyone assumes that your bags are leaking. They may be right, but they may be wrong. 1. Does your system pump the bags up after turning the key to the run and/or start/run position? If the springs (front and rear) go all the way up, open your trunk and turn the air ride switch off. If the bags hold pressure over night, they do not have any leaks. This will eliminate the bags and O-Rings as the source of the problem. 2. Once you have eliminated the bags and the O-Rings as the problem, the next step is to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)from the memory. Yes, you will need a New Generation Star Testor or an equivalent to pull the codes. 3. I was able to pull codes 60, 90, and 99. I verified the problem codes by errasing the DTCs and duplicating the problem. Code 60 returned. I went through the pin point tests for code 60 and the problem was resolved by replacing the rear ride height sensor. 4. Due to age and mileage, I also replaced the rear bags, rear solenoids, and compressor/dryer assembly. You may want to do the same. However, parts replacement without pulling the DTCs will not pin point your problem. 5. The best air ride/electrical trouble shooter I know is Steve at Champion L/M in the Houston, Texas area. He comes highly reccomended from my buddy who is a Ford Field Tech Engineer who works the Greater Houston area in the Republic of Texas. 6. Whomever you choose, he must have a star testor, a mulit-meter, the '97 or '98 shop manual, and the ability to squeeze into very tight places and the ability to separate stuborn connectors with a vice-like set of hands and fingers.
[/div]

Well, thats your opinion, but you are basing that "You must have a Super Star II Tester to find your problem" based on "YOUR EXPERIENCE", and thats o.k. for YOU, but in the real world, those testers are hard to find and even harder to find the people out there who know how to use them, much less pull the codes from a Mark VIII. I find allot of holes in your theories.

Yeah, they could go to a stealership and pay anywhere from $75 to $150 just to find out what "their best guess is", but I can tell you from being on various Mark VIII sites since about '97, that the majority of the "techs" that work at dealerships these days are nothing but parts changers! There are some darn good ones in this fine country and have personally worked with several over the years, but because of Fords continued warranty labor cutting, they are few and far between these days. The majority of them out there have absolutely no idea what they are doing when it comes to air suspension and use other peoples money to further their education. Most haven't got a clue what to do "IF", and it happens allot, there isn't a code to be had.

I have no problem with a dealership charging $75-$150 to diagnose a high tech problem, but the person had better know his stuff and BE CORRECT in his diagnosis! I can say this after talking with tons of people that have even faxed me copies of the work orders of what the tech did, with their money, to try to fix the problem. I couldn't believe what some of them replaced to try to fix a particular problem.

My opinion to diagnose a car without the use of a scanner is based on working on thousands of cars. I worked for Ford/Lincoln for over 15 years and have worked on my own since '99 and found it was almost a waist of time to walk to the end of the shop to get the Super Star II Tester. The ONLY time it was even worth the time is if the check suspension message came on immediately, which you had no choice because you needed to know where to start. About 90% of the time, the same stuff goes wrong with these cars. With the problems that happen the most, only give a generic code like a 98 or 99 anyway, which is "unable to detect raising or lowering of vehicle". WOW, thats allot of help. We already know the car isn't raising, or in as many cases, lowering.

As far as the leak being the o-rings, again, your not speaking from experience. Most of these members here have been here for years and have talked with hundreds of fellow Mark VIII owners and went through all the in's and out's of air suspension. Over the years, I have come to the realization that there are several members of these forums that I would put up against most of the mechanics working for Ford/Lincoln. We've heard all the people in denial and replacing the o-rings...then a few days later coming back and realizing what is really wrong. You say YOUR problem was your rear sensor, and maybe it was, but at the same time, you replaced 3 other components. How would you even know if that was the real problem when you replaced so many components at the same time, all 3 of which are VERY prone to problems on a Mark VIII?

As far as your method of leak testing, I don't agree with that either.
For starters,
#1 If you don't wait until the car has vented to curb height before you turn the switch off, you know, the height it stays at most of the time, it won't put the dry rotted or damaged area of the rubber on the fold of the rubber, (which is where your leak will be because it opens the cracks) and unless the leak is really bad, it won't show you a thing.

#2 No matter the suspension height, a leaking o-ring on the solenoid CAN leak with the suspension switch on or off. The switch on or off has no bearing whatsoever on the o-rings that seal the solenoid TO THE STRUT.

#3 Again, unless the leak has progressed badly, the vehicle just sitting doesn't tell you much "most of the time". The hardest thing for an air strut/spring to do, is to be DRIVEN with the suspension switch off. Not just sitting still. A car in its early stages of leaking, may only leak 2 or 3 nights a week. DRIVE the car with the suspension switch off (assuming it was vented to curb height beforehand) for a day or two and the vehicle will hit the ground if it has a leak.

I copied and pasted a small article I did on my site about the leaking o-ring issue:
If the solenoid has never been removed before, most likely the leak isn't from the o-rings that seal the solenoid to the air spring/strut. Now if the solenoid had EVER been removed before, the o-rings should have been replaced at that time. If you have an old o-ring that has never seen the light of day and all of the sudden, after 10 years of being cooped up, it is released from tension, it will expand. If reused, it WILL eventually cause a leak . It might take a day, a month, or even a year, but it WILL leak at some time down the road.

In other words, if you replace your air springs or struts, make sure you "at least" replace the 2 x o-rings that seal the solenoid to the air spring/strut. If you don't, its not a matter of "IF" it will leak, but more like "WHEN".

Dear Eddie:

My "opinion" is based upon my experience. I have been working on and trouble shooting cars since I was 16. I am now 48. Additionally, I have extensive training in automotive systems from 20 plus years in the Marine Corps as a Motor Transport Officer and an Assault Amphibian Officer. Both fields utilize pneumatic and hydrolic systems in their vehicles.

Just for good measure, I was a Ford Parts and Service Division employee for over ten years. One of the jobs I had at Ford was Technial hotline coordinator. I have completed numerous tech training courses taught by Ford engineers. However, I will be the first to admit that I do not know everything. I am willing to bet that you do not know everything either.

The reason I responded to the Newcomer's request for help was simply to give him my perspective on my own experiences.

You do not like the use of the New gen Star testor, but I can't seem to find your alternative solution to the problem. You are right that detecting a hard fault must be done very quickly. You have approximaytely an hour, which is not quite the requirement to act immediately as you state in your reply.

However, you did not address the memory codes that should be pulled if the vehicle owner views the "CHECK AIR RIDE" message displayed on the panel. Memory codes will remain in memory for 80 start/run cycles.

Obvious mechcanical failures of bags and o-rings do not require the New Gen Star Testor. But, when your problem is not mechanical, you must then be able to diagnose a possible electrical concern. Please advise how you diagnose electrical concerns without a multi-meter and/or a star testor? You were very critical of the star testor method, but offered no other solution. Perhaps in your rush to critisize, you simply forgot to tell Newcomer what his problem is and how to correct the same. I'll bet buying parts from you topped your list of solutions!

You stated that you found a lot of holes in my theories. Problem is, they are not my theories. I just gave Newcomer the information that came out of the '97 Lincoln Mark VIII Shop Manual. It's a great place to start. You should consider investing in one!

The whole point of allowing the system to pump up and then shutting the air ride switch off is to try and eliminate a mechanical leak as the source of the problem. If you have an electrical concern that is causing the bags to deflate, the system should not command the bags to deflate via a faulty electrical signal with the switch off.

You are right that a leaking o-ring will leak with or without the air ride switch on or off. However, with the air ride switch off, a faulty electrical signal telling the system to over vent can be eliminated as the problem if the bags leak down. Of course, it is possible that you have both an electrical problem and a leaking bag or o-ring. The switch off, however, will help to pin point that a leak is present. As far as driving the car with the switch off, with that we can agree. Several days of normal driving with the switch off will tell you a lot about the integrity of the bags and o-rings.

The reason that I replaced three other components was due to age. I did not start with replacing components. I started with pulling DTCs.

Lastly, you seem to think that every mechanic that works at Ford and Lincoln/Mercury Dealers does not know what he is doing. That is an exagerated opinion of yours. As in all walks of life, there are good ones and bad ones. The trick is sorting the good from the bad, and in the rare case, finding the exceptional. I gave Newcomer the name and location of the excepetional. But, I live in Texas, where the exceptional is an every day experience.

Tell me about your spider valve and why I need one? xo ;)

Dear Eddie: My "opinion" is based upon my experience. I have been working on and trouble shooting cars since I was 16. I am now 48. Additionally, I have extensive training in automotive systems from 20 plus years in the Marine Corps as a Motor Transport Officer and an Assault Amphibian Officer. Both fields utilize pneumatic and hydrolic systems in their vehicles. Just for good measure, I was a Ford Parts and Service Division employee for over ten years. One of the jobs I had at Ford was Technial hotline coordinator. I have completed numerous tech training courses taught by Ford engineers. However, I will be the first to admit that I do not know everything. I am willing to bet that you do not know everything either. The reason I responded to the Newcomer's request for help was simply to give him my perspective on my own experiences. You do not like the use of the New gen Star testor, but I can't seem to find your alternative solution to the problem. You are right that detecting a hard fault must be done very quickly. You have approximaytely an hour, which is not quite the requirement to act immediately as you state in your reply. However, you did not address the memory codes that should be pulled if the vehicle owner views the "CHECK AIR RIDE" message displayed on the panel. Memory codes will remain in memory for 80 start/run cycles. Obvious mechcanical failures of bags and o-rings do not require the New Gen Star Testor. But, when your problem is not mechanical, you must then be able to diagnose a possible electrical concern. Please advise how you diagnose electrical concerns without a multi-meter and/or a star testor? You were very critical of the star testor method, but offered no other solution. Perhaps in your rush to critisize, you simply forgot to tell Newcomer what his problem is and how to correct the same. I'll bet buying parts from you topped your list of solutions! You stated that you found a lot of holes in my theories. Problem is, they are not my theories. I just gave Newcomer the information that came out of the '97 Lincoln Mark VIII Shop Manual. It's a great place to start. You should consider investing in one! The whole point of allowing the system to pump up and then shutting the air ride switch off is to try and eliminate a mechanical leak as the source of the problem. If you have an electrical concern that is causing the bags to deflate, the system should not command the bags to deflate via a faulty electrical signal with the switch off. You are right that a leaking o-ring will leak with or without the air ride switch on or off. However, with the air ride switch off, a faulty electrical signal telling the system to over vent can be eliminated as the problem if the bags leak down. Of course, it is possible that you have both an electrical problem and a leaking bag or o-ring. The switch off, however, will help to pin point that a leak is present. As far as driving the car with the switch off, with that we can agree. Several days of normal driving with the switch off will tell you a lot about the integrity of the bags and o-rings. The reason that I replaced three other components was due to age. I did not start with replacing components. I started with pulling DTCs. Lastly, you seem to think that every mechanic that works at Ford and Lincoln/Mercury Dealers does not know what he is doing. That is an exagerated opinion of yours. As in all walks of life, there are good ones and bad ones. The trick is sorting the good from the bad, and in the rare case, finding the exceptional. I gave Newcomer the name and location of the excepetional. But, I live in Texas, where the exceptional is an every day experience. Tell me about your spider valve and why I need one? xo ;)
[/div]

The experience I was speaking of, was not just in the automotive field. I was really referring to the air suspension field only. Because of the overall stategy of the system and little things like solenoid location and their operation, air suspension on the Fords & Lincolns is a little different that other "car stuff". Its simple to understand why it does what it does...and when, but it is different.

As far as just plain automotive experience goes, I work with mechanics all the time that have been working on cars for as long as I have been alive, but to be honest, most of the time it doesn't help much in the repair of these systems. I get some of these guys that are set in their ways and have their own ideas why the system acts the way it does and won't listen to anything. They use their ideas or reasoning why a particular thing is happening and replace parts accordingly. Allot of the time, they are the ones that call back saying the part they just purchased for this car is defective, when in reality, the part they just purchased didn't have anything to do with the problem at all. It is for this reason that I would rather help a Walmart cashier, or say an attorney (o.k., I'm getting carried away) trying to repair his own car, than to help a veteran mechanic. Because I have a much better chance of getting the car fixed if the customer listens to me, rather than saying…”I know it can’t be this, and I know it can’t be this”. Over the years being on the net, I have realized that the information must be as correct as possible because there is 10 to 20 times the number of people reading the post as is posting. I know this because of the numerous customers over the years that have said….”oh, I’ve never posted, I just read”, whenever I ask them their usernames. If you give the wrong information, someone bets his or her paycheck on what you wrote and that just might not be right. They get bent out of shape and vow to not only quit coming on the sites, but give up on the car altogether. Thus giving the air suspension a bad name.

I never said "I didn't like the Star Tester". I actually think its a cool toy to have. Its just that just about the only place you can find one is a "stealership". "MY" alternative is documented all over the place. You can read about it on my site: http://www.americanairsuspension.com/the light is coming on.htm

As far as the hard fault goes, since it is a hard fault and is always on, I have not "required" someone to have the car looked at within an hour. If it is a hard fault, most likely its going to trigger a code anyway. But like I said, whats the big rush? Its going to be their tomorrow.

My opinion on relying on the codes totally for the diagnoses is that a good bit of the time the code triggered is such a worthless code, that it didn't tell you anything that you didn't already know. An example would be for a venting problem that Mark VIII's are notorious for. If you pull the code(s), it'll read a code 98 or 99 when you have this problem. The description of this code is "unable to detect raising or lowering of the vehicle". In the time it took you to get out the Star Tester, hook it up and go through the proper sequence, you could have already diagnosed a venting problem by watching how fast the vehicle vented when you shut the car off and shut the door, in addition to WHEN the customer says the check suspension light came on. Want to know the real kicker? This can be done effectively over the phone 99.9% of the time…..WITH NO $75 to $150 trips to the dealer for diagnosis only!

As far as the Ford shop manuals go, because I have not only spent countless hours in a Ford/Lincoln training facility, but have also spent over 15 years, IN A DEALERSHIP, which I worked on this stuff day in and day out, not just on my own vehicle, I can honestly say that I know whats in the shop manual. I was also involved with Ford long enough to know that Fords engineers don't write the shop manuals. They are written by an outside company and produces numerous typo's and such and mistakes.

Ford has changed the way it looks at things over the years, and is quite different than when I first started training. It used to be that you should learn the system and know why it does what it does. Now, it is more geared in spending an hour in a book following allot of unnecessary crap to diagnose something, when they only want to pay you 15 minutes for your time. Not that you’ll listen, but I’ll let you in on a little secret. If you want to make a living as a mechanic, you need to learn the system. Not rely on something that will eat your day away. The paper pusher mentality sounds good on paper, but in the real world, if you want to do it efficiently, you need to know how it works and why it works.

I NEVER said there wasn’t a use for a Star Tester or multimeter. Heck, I wish I owned a Star Tester to let people borrow for the times when you have to have one (hard faults), so that they don’t have to pay $75+ an hour for someone that probably knows less than the customer about this stuff. The thing is, MOST OF THE TIME YOU DON'T NEED IT. I have proved this for almost 10 years!

As far as you saying that buying parts from me was THE solution, well, your either showing your ignorance or JUST PLAIN inability to read. If you did a search on "BLUECOLLAR" on this site or the site I camp out at most of the time (I thinks it against the rules to put the other sites addy here), you'll see that a good percentage of the time I'm on the net, is to help people. NOT MAKE MONEY! If I was here only to make a dollar, why would I have spent hundreds of hours designing my website to help someone fix there car themselves? Knowing good and well that the information is being used by other people, that aren’t even buying from me.

As far as you saying, that I said “every mechanic that works for Ford/Lincoln doesn’t know what he is doing”, it seems you have a problem with comprehension. I said that the majority of the mechanics today don't know didly about air suspension. There are a few outstanding people that know their stuff, but the majority don't! I can say this because I have not only worked at several different dealerships over the years, but have sold parts to and helped some of these "technicians" fix the customers car! Unless you've worked behind the scenes to know what really goes on in a dealership, you don't know what your talking about.

As far as the SPIDER VALVE goes, I never said "YOU NEED ONE". Doing research over the years, working on cars and researching the real reason something failed, I can tell you that about 80% of the Mark VIII's and Town Cars have a moisture problem. (None of the other models seem to have this problem) By the way, how do you explain the hundreds of Town Car compressor cores that come through my shop that are nothing but white corrosion inside?

When the moisture level gets to a certain level, it starts causing problems. Its the same thing as if you purchased an air compressor from Home Depot for your garage. When you first start using it, everything is great. But in time, if you don't drain it the tank,(no way to "drain" an air suspension system) everytime you use an air tool or blow sawdust, you'll get a mist of water. The air suspension system is basically the same thing. Once moisture gets inside, theres no way for it to get out. When this happens, everytime the system vents, the compressor takes a bath. Oh, because I have read the shop manual, I can say that Ford’s way to resolve a moisture problem, is to replace EVERYTHING! If you work for Ford or still get a pension from Ford, that may be a good thing. For the normal working stiff like myself, that unacceptable.

I know what your saying, because your in love with the shop manual....."but the compressor has a dryer". Anyone that knows about pneumatics knows that you don't put the dryer right off the compressor, as the air is still hot and moist and all the moisture can't efficiently be removed. (You claiming to know about pneumatics, you should know this) This is why you have to put the dryer away from the compressor to allow the air to cool down a bit. In my estimations, the dryer may catch 95-97% of the moisture. Times that by 10 years and you have a problem. Keep in mind also that any compressor produces moisture. If the system is already going to produce a certain amount of moisture normally, how much does it make when it is driven around with a leak for 6 months or more and the compressor has to work 2-10 times more than it would normally? 2-10 times more moisture, added to an already old system.

I suggest you post a poll or something to the number of people that I have helped, for profit and not for profit. If you want to give advice, I would suggest doing your research as well as doing the work, so you'll know what your talking about.

Red Box Rebel ':)

Dear Eddie:

1. I can see that I hit a raw nreve! I'm sorry that you are so sensitive. However, that does not give you license to insult someone who was posting a suggestion in good faith in order to help someone, and to pass on my experiences.

2. Anyone reading your postings can not help but see that you have a deep seeded dislike, if not a full blown hatred, for the Ford and Lincoln/Mercury Family of Dealerships. You refer to them as "STEALERSHIPS." Perhaps your bias is getting in the way of your judgment.

3. As I tried to inform you in my last posting, I do work on the cars and perform most of my own work on all of my vehicles. As far as having behind the scenes knowledge of Dealershp parts and service operations, I have been there and done that. I was a Motorcraft Rep, (hence the name Red Box Rebel) a Ford Blue Box Parts Rep and a Service Rep. I have been involved in everything at the Dealerships to include diagnosing and fixing, and the auditing of warranty claims. I'm sure you will love to hear that my biggest Dealer warranty charge back exceeded $18,000.00.

4. Despite the occaisional chargeback, I found most Service Department personnel to be honest and willing to work hard at solving an owner's concerns. Calling all Dealerships "STEALERSHIPS" paints with a broad brush and is nothing short of bigotry! I suggest that you choose your words more carefully Eddie. Remember, you have a business that also depends upon its reputation. Now go stand in the corner for ten minutes and donate $10.00 to the Bow Tie Foundation.

5. Once you get over your anger Eddie, you will be far more effective than just a replacement parts saleman.

6. Oh, just one more thing to help make your day, since retiring from the Marine Corps and leaving Ford, I now practice law in my spare time. And yes Eddie, I will be drawing upon a Ford retirement plan in which I am vested when I reach my golden years, assuming FOMOCO does not go bankrupt. So do me a favor, buy a couple of new Town Cars and a Mark LT to help bump up the Ford Stock price. ;)

You know, I guess I do have something to say about the "Stealerships" out there, but I'll bet if you did a search on the bigger websites, not the smaller ones that don't have any traffic, you would see THAT name referenced ALOT! I had my opinion about stealerships before, but NEVER imagined how bad of a reputation they really had until I was on the net and read and chatted with people from all over the country. I saw then that it was not isolated in the least. You could get ripped off as easy in California as you could in Florida. The majority of the dealerships charge from $75 to $95 dollars an hour for labor....and you can bet the mechanic isn't making a fraction of that. I could maybe see the cost was worth it for a thoroughly trained individual working on your car, but the way it was when I was there, you only had to have 1 person certified in each area in the ENTIRE dealership. Just having 1 person certified in say transmissions, allowed the entire dealership to be able to work on them. What you would have then, was alot of inexperienced, uncertified people working on vehicles and the dealership raking in $75+ an hour to boot!

Don't get me wrong, Ford shares half of the blame in my book. I really believe that someone that I thought was the best business man that ever lived, would turn over in his grave if he knew how the company was being ran (Henry Ford). When you have mechanics relying on 70-80% of there work to be warranty work, it doesn't take much labor cost cutting to really hurt. You get your paycheck cut enough times, and you give more and more incentive for people to make it anyway they can. "A license to steal" if you will.

Well, it doesn't worsen my opinion of you knowing that you were an auditor. If something was bogus, it needed to be charged back. I can't think of a single time any of my tickets were charged back. As long as your priority was fixing the customers car, it would usually work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back