Diagnosis help. Bag, or Shock Mount?

Sneth

Registered
My right rear suspension make a loud banging noise as i drive. The car does not seem to be lower on that side, though it is hard to tell for sure.Any input would be great. I am trying to keep this car in tip top shape.

- I can bounce that corner of the car no problem. the car can be on or off, and it bounces fine when i press on it.
-I can hear the bang slightly if i push the suspension really hard.

Does anyone have a print out of the rear suspension?
You can fax me : Seth Peterson (314) 615 6975
email: sneth@sneth.com

RE: Diagnosis help. Bag, or Shock Mount?

It's the mount.

BTW, there is only one height sensor in the rear. It only adjusts the entire rear of the car for overall pitch. The two fronts adjust for any lean.

Pretty much any Mark with over 80,000 miles will have broken mounts.

1. I agree, it is probably the shock mount. However, the rear ride height sensor does its job assuming that the front two struts/bags are level. If the fronts are not level, the rear senor may not make the proper adjustment.

2. Not all mounts go out after 80,000 miles. But if your ride has been driven rough, the mounts can go bad at 80,000 miles or sooner. My '97 has 120,000 miles and the mounts are just fine.

3. I would change out the shocks on the rear.

i had it a feeling it was the mount . Now i just have to get an idea how much this will cost me. I just threw on new tires,brakes, and a tire rod.

This something i could do myself?
Intermediate mechanical experience.

1. Sounds to me that you have the aptitude to take on the job!

2. Changing out the rear shocks and mounts is not hard, but follow safety percautions. Make sure that you have a means of supporting the lower control arm when removing the shock.

3. Mostly a job that requires bolt turning and removal. Follow the instructions out of the shop manual and you will do just fine. ;)

Seth - I'm also sure it's just the upper rear shock mount, and since your car is a '98, I really doubt you need new shocks yet.

Replacing the upper rear mounts is very easy, (you have to pull the trunk carpet a little for access). But here's a tip - don't remove the shock from the upper mount while it's still in the car. Since you're replacing the upper mounts, it's much easier to just remove the two mounting bolts from inside the trunk, remove the lower shock mounting bolt holding the bottom of the shock to the lower control arm, then drop the shock out with the upper mount still attached to it. Once the assembly is outside the car, it's much easier removing the upper shock nut, since you can get much better leverage, etc. Also, on the driver side, be careful not to break the mounting points for the rear height sensor, (only the driver side has one).

For installation, just reverse the process. Mount the shock to the upper mount while it's out of the car, then slide the shock assembly into the car with the upper mount already attached to it. Finish by bolting everything back up.

John
[link:www.goldengatemark8.com|Golden Gate Mark VIII Website]
http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/Mark_VIII_s.jpg
'97 Mark VIII LSC
'96 T-Bird 4.6L

Back