Ordered New Suspension Parts!

14.6@97MPH

Registered
A couple of weeks ago my air suspension kicked the bucket. My car is a 1993 with 202,900 on the clock. The orginal pump finally stopped pumping. At the same time my rear bags leaked over night and the fronts had a slower leak (2-3 days).

Based on all this, I ordered the coil spring conversion from http://www.americanairsuspension.com

I also ordered some new rear shock mounts and the Monroe T-Bird shocks (while I'll have everything apart). I've got the rear clunking back along with my blown air-suspension.

Costs.......
Coil Conversion - $434 (with shipping)
Rear Upper Shock Mounts - $65.97
Rear Monroe Shocks - $52.14

Total - $552.11

I'm going to attempt the install myself..........this is going to be a big job for me. (of course I'll have BlackIceLSC's e-mail with me.)

Ken

RE: Ordered New Suspension Parts!

I completed the coil conversion this past weekend. I put a 'special thanks' post up in the general discussion forum, but here are some details of the actual job........

It took about 8-hours total.......I'm nowhere near a mechanic, took a lot of breaks, and was in no rush.........it was also 90 degrees out.

My car was completely out of air, so I had to drive it on some 2x4's to get a jack underneath it. Also because it was out of air, I decided to only have one end (rear then front) of the car up at one-time. It also made me a little nervous to have the whole car up 4-jack stands and once anyway.

The directions never said which direction to put the rear springs in, so mine might be in upside down.......i hope that doesn't matter.

The only part I really got caught on was 'sliding' the front uppercontrol arm off the steering knuckly. It didn't slide off after I got the bolt out. I had to hammer and pry it out. I only had this problem on the left side of the car.

I did 99% of the job myself, the only time I really needed an assistant is when bolting in the top of new the front struts to the car.

I did a 4-wheel alignment the next day, and the old Lincoln is back in full-time service!

As I've mentioned earlier, I pretty much had to go the coil spring conversion route to repair my car as my air compressor was done and all 4-bags leaked.

Ken

RE: Ordered New Suspension Parts!

Pretty soon the coil cars are going to outnumber the bagged cars!

Craig (BlackIce) was very helpful when I did mine this past winter.

It shouldn't matter what side is up on your rear springs, it should still compress the same.

Back