Brakes Upgrade

angus242

Registered
OK, I'm sure this has been discussed to death already but I have not seen the exact answers I'm looking for. I have a 95 M8 and time to do brakes. Since I'm also upgrading wheels/tires, I was wondering if I could use Cobra brake components and then just get new rims to match the Cobra bolt pattern? I was looking at 18" wheels so the new calipers should fit without issue.
I'm moving to Phoenix in a few months and I'd like to make sure the brakes are solid. It's freakin hot out there and I'd like to upgrade to make sure I don't run into a problem. Any thoughts/input/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Peace
Angus

RE: Brakes Upgrade

If memory serves, I think you have to do some modifications. It is not a simple bolt on.

Sorry, I've never done it.

You can keep stock hub and add cobra rotors and calipers with 17" or bigger rims. You will need to redrill the cobra rotors from 4.5" bolt pattern(mustang) to 4.25"(markviii)(about $40+ at machine shop or do yourself free). If you need rims that only come in 4.5", then you will need to also buy mustang hubs and swap them on the Mark (won't need to redrill rotors then). You can buy brake kits from some of our vendors here also.

Check out this thread for a cobra rotor and caliper swap:

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/d...opic_id=2701&mesg_id=2701&listing_type=search

Note: you can redrill new holes like shown in link above, or remove 1/8" from existing holes (toward center of rim).

the hub swap isnt hard, but if your goal is only to get new brakes, it might be a bit more $ than you want to spend..
i think you can buy cobra 13" rotors in the mark pattern from diskbrakesrus.com you would need cobra calipers and brakets to make them work. and you would have to run 17" rims to get them to clear..

Wow, i was just thinking about posting this and i saw this post. I can remember seeing a while back on stainless steel lines from some company premade to fit 93-98 Marks also. I definately need new brakes, (warped bad!) but put off the upgrade thinking it was going to cost 1200.00 or so to do it right. So I just put new OEM parts on last summer.
Thanks for posting this as now i have another option after 17 X 9 Cobra R rims are bought. Ohh well, there goes the sleeper look im trying to keep. I like those rims on your Mark...very nice.

1995 DK BLUE Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK BLUE Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK HONDA CBR 600RR

Back