brake line question

MaddShadez

Registered
Hi folks, I had to unscrew two of the brake lines to do some work on the car, they are the two lines on the engine side of the resovior. I'm assuming I'll have to bleed the brakes due to this, would i be able to only bleed the wheels that those lines go to or should I bleed them all. if just those two, which wheels to those two lines feed? thanks!

RE: brake line question

I'm not sure on the Mark VIII ABS setup, but as a general rule, our work shop will bleed all the wheels when any brake line work is involved. I know my F250 PSD had to have a new LF brake line and they bled all 4.

bleed all the wheels.

if the abs pump went dry you supposedly need a special dealer tool (that not all dealers even have) to run the ABS pump while you're bleeding it.

I was hoping to avoid bleeding them as i was tired and it's a pita, but i had no choice as the brakes didn't work at all, they're nice and solid now, although I can't get the bleeder off the front drivers side, the nut is ruined. one of these days I'll have some shop fix it.

Leaving for south carolina in 10 hours, woohoo!

If i want to be lazy i'll just top off the reservoir, crack the bleeders, and go drink a couple of beers. Usually it will bleed just fine from gravity alone. this works better on trucks, though.

I've actually blead the fronts on a Taurus SHO (Stuck Bleeder Screws), without using the bleeder screws. It was either do this or buy two new calipers. The idea is to blow all the air back into the resevoir. You take the caliper off, use a C clamp to compress the piston all the way in, loosen the brake hose and push the brake pedal gently and get all the air out of the line while tightening the hose while it's still coming out, adjust the C clamp to prevent the piston from coming out all the way, pump the brakes to fill the calipers with fluid, then turning the caliper so the air pocket is on the top toward the hose inlet, compress the C-Clamp to shove the air back into the resevoir. It's kind of involved, but worked very well. Only works on the front calipers due to the short lines. Saved me like $150.

mark

Back