Gen 2 Springs in Gen 1 Mark VIII: Does it require flashing comp or anything?

tolik

Registered
My bags are leaking, I was leaning towards ordering new ones, but the difference in price between Gen 2 and Gen 1 is almost 2x (with Gen 2 cheaper). Will the Gen 2s work fine if I only replace the FRONT bags? Rear bags are fine.

Am I going to have to do anything else, or are the bags absolutely identical save firmness and price? Or do I have to replace both sets and reflash the computer if I'm changing to Gen 2 bags (which makes it not worth it)?

RE: Gen 2 Springs in Gen 1 Mark VIII: Does it require flashing comp or anything?

The Gen 2 spring are better and cheeper then gen 1. Most gen 1 owners switch to them. You can just replace the front, you don't have to do anything to the computer.

RE: Gen 2 Springs in Gen 1 Mark VIII: Does it require flashing comp or anything?

The computer in any suspension on any Mark cannot be flashed. Only the EEC-V computer can be flashed.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
... Am I going to have to do anything else, or are the bags absolutely identical save firmness and price? [/div]

Aren't the Gen2 struts firmer?

hmmm... they seem a bit firmer to me, yes. paid $648 shipped from fivestarford for the parts, very pleasant to deal with. locally would have paid a dealership $802 after taxes. everything works fine now :)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]... Am I going to have to do anything else, or are the bags absolutely identical save firmness and price? [/div]Aren't the Gen2 struts firmer?
[/div]

they feel softer to me.

that's not from switching struts, though, that's from comparing my '94 to my '97

Bought mine for $208, and $216. Car rode much better.

Bought mine for $208, and $216. Car rode much better.
[/div]

Where did you buy?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Bought mine for $208, and $216. Car rode much better.[/div]Where did you buy?
[/div]

I'm curious about that price too, where on EARTH did you find that price for new OEM air struts??? I am sure there is a LINE of us out here just waiting for that info!!! The three hundred or so from Five Star is the lowest price I've seen. Do you have a relative in the parts department? If so, tell us his/her name and they'll have a ton of business, pronto!!:) :)

Google Lincoln suspension. Suncore is $159.(they do their own and I have idea how well), Arnott has them for $182 and they have been doing them for years with a very good reputation-I got mine locally at a South Fl auto parts store for $162 but I knew somebody.

Paul

Back