FRONT END POPPING

blacktbird

Registered
I have noticed more and more that the front end makes a popping noise when ever I hit bumps. It also seams that it has made the car pull pretty hard to the right when driving which makes me think that it is on the passenger side.

I have also had a problem with the car pulling to the left when the brakes are applied. Dont know if this has anything to do with the passenger side or not. I did have the car alligned about 2 weeks ago and that didnt solve the problem. Any helpw ould be awsome.

Thanks

Chris

RE: FRONT END POPPING

Who ever did your alignment should have checked your strut rods and ball joints out, instead of just taking your money. It definitely is either one or both of them.. I suspect the strut rod bushings, as this caused mine to pull when brakes were applied, but I replaced the upper and lower control arms and ball joints as well as struts, and I now have a totally new tight ride.

I think with the 'popping' description, it sounds like a ball joint. Almost impossible to detect a bad ball joint with any suspension loading, unless it is completely shot. But with the pulling with the brakes applied, yep, it sounds like a strut rod bushing problem as well.

I can only tell you I took mine to Meineke, both times. First was the strut rods bushings. Not bad, less than $100 IIRC with a four wheel alignment. Next time was the ball joints and bushings and UCAs all for about $800 with alignment. :eek: I don't have the facilities or tools for front end work.

1. I have recently had a very similar problem. I replace the left side hub bearings and both the right and left side upper and lower control arms. I did not have to replace the tie rod ends, but all that worked solved my problems. Of course a four wheel wheel alignment was performed after the parts were replaced. It no longer pulls when braking and tracks straight.

2. Worn out front end components individually or as a whole can cause the problem you describe. Each component must be inspected and replaced if required.

Back