Just got my first Mark, but it has a few..."kinks" i need to work out

1993_opal_8

Registered
Hey guys, i've already learned a ton from reading some posts, but figured I would join the ranks of troubled Mark enthusiasts. I bought my first Mark just over a month ago, and I definatly love it. It does have a few things I need to get taken care of though and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. First is the thump in the back on the drivers side. Now after reading some other posts i think this is a shock mount bushing?? If i'm right, i was wondering where i might find one (went to both local auto parts stores and was told they could not order any suspension parts for a mark viii due to the self leveling air ride). So if anyone knows a good online parts place i would appreciate it. Next is the front end noise i just started hearing. I can only really hear it at very slow (<10 mph) speeds or while stopped and turning the wheels. The best way i can describe the noise is that it sounds like a squeky matress/box spring. It is a creaking/moaning noise and sometimes a load pop sound when turning the wheel hard left or right. Any ideas?? If i should post somewhere else, please let me know! Thank you all! Oh, and i was also wondering if anyone could suggest where to find headlight relay, i was told it may help my awesomely bright headlamps!!

RE: Just got my first Mark, but it has a few..."kinks" i need to work out

Rear Shock mounts you can order from Max at 5 Star Ford, while you are at it you might as well replace the shocks as well with the Thunderbird Monroe Sensatracs.
Your popping noise is ball joints. You have upper, lower and sway bar links with them, as well as the tie rod ends. If you are interested there are lots of write ups on replacing these items. If you replace them you would also want to also consider replacing the strut rod bushings as well. I would suggest going to Rock auto for the Moog Bushings and TRW Upper and Lower Control arm assemblies. Although you can purchase the bushing and ball joint only kit for the lower assembly it may be more convenient (as you need a large press) to just get the whole assembly.
If you really want to finish the job then you would also order rebuilt air struts from American Air Suspension (Eddie).

If you install all of this you will virtually have a new front suspension (don't forget you will need a Front End Alignment) and you will really notice what a great ride you will then have.:)
Total parts cost about $600.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Rear Shock mounts you can order from Max at 5 Star Ford, while you are at it you might as well replace the shocks as well with the Thunderbird Monroe Sensatracs.Your popping noise is ball joints. You have upper, lower and sway bar links with them, as well as the tie rod ends. If you are interested there are lots of write ups on replacing these items. If you replace them you would also want to also consider replacing the strut rod bushings as well. I would suggest going to Rock auto for the Moog Bushings and TRW Upper and Lower Control arm assemblies. Although you can purchase the bushing and ball joint only kit for the lower assembly it may be more convenient (as you need a large press) to just get the whole assembly.If you really want to finish the job then you would also order rebuilt air struts from American Air Suspension (Eddie).If you install all of this you will virtually have a new front suspension (don't forget you will need a Front End Alignment) and you will really notice what a great ride you will then have.:) Total parts cost about $600.
[/div]

He knows what he's talking about.

Regarding the headlights, buy a couple of HIR (Infra-Red) bulbs. They are $40 each, but they are almost twice as bright. And they will not further damage the housing from heat because they run cooler.

I agree with the HIR bulbs, a significant enhancement in lighting.

As far as sourcing them along with a headlight relay kit...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Sylvania Silverstar headlamp bulbs are an improvement IF you don't have significant damage to the interior reflector and the outside lens can be polished.

There are also tricks to keeping the low beams on with the high beams. One is a plug and play solution...
http://www.thebritebox.com/

The relay kit can also be utilized for the four way high beam mod.

Or you can wire a jumper at the multifunction switch.

You have upper, lower and sway bar links with them, as well as the tie rod ends... If you replace them you would also want to also consider replacing the strut rod bushings as well. I would suggest going to Rock auto for the Moog Bushings and TRW Upper and Lower Control arm assemblies.... If you install all of this you will virtually have a new front suspension (don't forget you will need a Front End Alignment) and you will really notice what a great ride you will then have.:) Total parts cost about $600.
[/div]

The parts at RockAuto are priced like so....

Upper arms = 78 x 2
Lower control arms = 116 X 2
Strut rod bushings (at lca) = 22
Strut rod bushings (at K-member) = 38
Sway bar end links = 40 X 2

Tie rod ends
Inners = 23 x 2
Outers = 37 x 2

Subtotaling at $688

RockAuto has a 5% discount code that always floats around here to use. Also another money saver, this quote from Jeremi... "For the longest time now I had an idea of trying the Thunderbird LCAs on the Mark VIII, especially since the bushings and ball joint replacements (if you were to rebuild the arms) carry the same part numbers, thus being in fact the same parts. However, the preassembled lower control arms had different part numbers."

"Ok, you guessed it right. The Thunderbird LCAs are exactly the same as on the Mark VIII. Not only are they cheaper on RockAuto website, but get this, we got them for $45 a piece from local Murray's parts store. Compare that to $115 a side for the so called lincoln arms." These were LCAs for a 89 to 97 T-Bird with a 5.0L.

So we will use the T-Bird LCAs, cutting the cost down to 52 x 2 or a total of $560 to do the entire job. Don't forget the 5% discount on this purchase.

Take care.

As far as sourcing them along with a headlight relay kit...http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
[/div]

That link covers the headlight harness issue in detail.

You can buy a 9005/9006 harness and modify the 9006 sockets, which is fairly easy, to take 9005 bulbs. The Mark uses 4 9005 bulbs, while the vast majority of cars with 4 headlights use 2 9005s and 2 9006s. So the 4 9005 set up is not readily available.

This link shows a harness for sale already assembled:

http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HH-9005-9006

This link shows a harness laid out and gives installation instuctions:

http://www.suvlights.com/

Good luck

I appreciate all the input. $560 doesn't sound too bad really, just wish i had it right now ;) This seems like something i can handle, but i have to ask, how difficult is it to remove the arms and everything? All four of the bags, compressor, and dryer have all been replaced in the past year and a half, so i assume they are alright. The headlights are just giving me a headache...i really want to find a '96 that got rearended bad!! I've thought about going with some projector fog lights in the grill as i've seen done in other posts. I also seen a set of tiny projectory that may possibly be able to be mounted in the stock housings because they are so small. Just thinking...any input? But the headlights i can deal with for now as long as i get the squeaks and bangs out of the suspension. Speaking of bangs...for the rear bushing, where can i get one of those? I'm not having too much luck finding websites with mark 8 parts...

... Speaking of bangs...for the rear bushing, where can i get one of those? I'm not having too much luck finding websites with mark 8 parts...
[/div]

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Rear Shock mounts you can order from Max at 5 Star Ford, while you are at it you might as well replace the shocks as well with the Thunderbird Monroe Sensatracs.[/div]

Five Star Ford(AZ)
Max Zuckerberg
Internet Part Sales
Phone (800) 866-1520 ext. 236
Fax (480) 948-8478
parts@fivestarford.com

Ford Parts HeadQuarters(MD)
Dan Newman
800-847-2047
http://www.fordpartshq.com/

I appreciate all the input. $560 doesn't sound too bad really, just wish i had it right now ;) This seems like something i can handle, but i have to ask, how difficult is it to remove the arms and everything? All four of the bags, compressor, and dryer have all been replaced in the past year and a half, so i assume they are alright. The headlights are just giving me a headache...i really want to find a '96 that got rearended bad!! I've thought about going with some projector fog lights in the grill as i've seen done in other posts. I also seen a set of tiny projectory that may possibly be able to be mounted in the stock housings because they are so small. Just thinking...any input? But the headlights i can deal with for now as long as i get the squeaks and bangs out of the suspension. Speaking of bangs...for the rear bushing, where can i get one of those? I'm not having too much luck finding websites with mark 8 parts...
[/div]

Rebuilding the front end took me 8 hours. My only advice is to work carefully and take breaks.

Back