OEM Brake material

mag1119

Registered
On the 2ND GEN LSC's :
What are the OEM pads made of? Are they ceramic, semi-metallic? Has anyone used the carbon pads, and how good are they? any recommendations??;)

RE: OEM Brake material

That's a tough question.

You'll first have to decide if you want silent, dustless brakes, or high performance brakes. Because you can't have both.

Ceramic is quiet and dustless, but they lack in stopping power.

Carbon or semi-metallic are the best performers, but they are dusty, and they will squeak if they are really high performance.

I opted for performance. Carbon-metallic is reportedly the best performing material that will not squeak when cold. A set of front pads costs $50 at Autozone.

I have also had EBC Greenstuff (kevlar) pads. They are slightly better performing than what I've got now, but they cost $100 and despite what they say, still create a lot of dust.

I have never had ceramic pads.

RE: OEM Brake material

1. I have been using ceramic pads for the last 20,000 miles. The wheels stay so much cleaner.

2. I have not done a performence stopping distance test, but I have no complaints with the ability to stop in a hurry. The hard core hot rodders will be able to tell the difference between the semi metalics and the ceramics, but for daily driving the ceramics are just fine.

3. Like the man said, it all depends on you and what you are looking for. I prefer not to have to clean my wheels every few days.

Back